Heart Disease Expert Forum
high a.s.o will it affect my heart?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

high a.s.o will it affect my heart?

Hi iam 19 years old , I have been suffering from high aso when I was 14 years old , I have all the time pain in my joints, anw I have done a blood test two months ago my aso was 446 , I took antibodies as my doctor told me to do for 20 days then do another blood test it was 440 , will it affect my heart despite iam suffering from short heart breathing , and my heart pumps rapidly when I climb stairs of 2 floors
Tests that measure anti-streptolysin O are often times used to detect past or present exposure to a group of bacteria known as streptococci.  This has also traditionally been used to help in the diagnosis of scarlet and/or rheumatic fever.  It is difficult to correlate the absolute value of your ASO titer to any outcomes related to your heart; however, if you are suffering from symptoms such as shortness of breath or palpitations, it would be important to make sure that you are up to date with your regular physical examinations with your primary care physician and/or cardiologist.  There are a number of causes for these types of symptoms, but some baseline information regarding the function of your heart (valves, ejection fraction, etc) would assist in ensuring that nothing needs to be done at the current time.