Heart Disease Expert Forum
non-perfusing pvcs

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

non-perfusing pvcs

I am a 37 year old female with a history of postpartum cardiomyopathy. My ef is back to normal and I was off all meds but lasix but my pvcs are just getting worse. I have tried betablockers, calcium channel blockers and finally flecainide. None of which I could tolerate due to already low bp and horrible side effects with flecainide. I was referred to an EP for an ablation. He said thinks it will help. Normally I wouldn't want to do anything invasive but the long runs of pvcs make feel awful. I am only perfusing half my beats so my pulse will be 30-40bpm and it makes me short of breath, have chest pain and makes me very fatigued. I will do it for hours on end. I have tried dietary changes, no caffeine/ caffeine, I exercise regularly. I don't know what to do. I have 4 and 7 year old children and a husband with MS to care for so the things really bug me. At my job as a nurse, when my hr is so low it makes it hard to focus on what I am doing. So many posts on here seem to recommend just getting over it and knowing that they won't kill me. I know they won't kill me but when my hr is 35 I feel I am being oxygen deprived. Any advice would be appreciated.
It sounds as if you have given the medications normally used for symptom control a good try. You are now quite symptomatic when you get the palpitations and you describe that this is impairing your ability to function in your everyday life. It might be worth considering the ablation procedure. It usually works very well and many patients will get symptomatic improvement.
A better understanding of what ablation entails might help you decide on whether or not you want to proceed. The Cleveland Clinic provides an excellent educational online resource on the procedure and what you can expect . Have a look at http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/services/tests/procedures/ablation.aspx