Heart Disease Expert Forum
palpatations

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

palpatations
I have had heart palpatations for many years now and have finally come to the conclusion that they are not going to kill me.They do seem to be stronger and more frequent though right before my period. Is that commen for women?

I have another question too.My blood pressure is usually pretty normal.Recently though, I was checking it at one of the local stores and it was 140/89. I waited while my daughter took hers and then I did mine again and it was 114/90. Should I be concerned about that? What are some things I can do at home to help maintain healthy bp?I am 29 female, no alcohol or tobacco use, overall in pretty good health. Thanks for your time.Dawn  

Dear Dawn,

The increase in palpitations you are experiencing around the time of your menstrual cycle may be related to the hormonal changes occurring at that time. If they are very bothersome, I would recommend seeing an internal medicine doctor or a cardiologist who will review your medical history and perform a  physical examination. Moreover, they may want to obtain a holter monitor test to determine if there is a rhythm disturbance with your heart causing these problems. A holter monitor is device worn from 24 to 48 hours which records the electrical activity of the heart.  This will provide your doctors with more insight.

A person is considered to have high blood pressure if they have 2 separate readings greater than 140/90.  I would recommend decreasing your salt intake, starting an exercise program, and losing weight if you are overweight. These simple measures can have a dramatic impact on your health. You should also follow-up with your doctor regarding these concerns.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE