Heart Disease Expert Forum
palpitations and ginseng

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

palpitations and ginseng

I am a 25yo female who had been experiencing palpitations.  I went to my doctor who did an EKG and found irregular heartbeats. i went to a cardiologist who did an echocardiogram, and when i told him i've been taking ginseng, he said that's most definitely causing the palpitations. Structurally there's nothing wrong with my heart, and he said to stop taking the ginseng. I've searched for info on ginseng and heart problems and have not found anything about it causing palpitations... have you heard of this? Thanks.
Dear Nancy
I have heard of ginseng extractions causing palpitations. Your cardiologist's advice sounds reasonable.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions. Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.