Heart Disease Expert Forum
shortness of breathe with bowel movement

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

i am a 72 year old man and after i have a bowel movement i get sort of an anxiety attact ( shortnes of breath and palpitations of the heart and i really believe this is it, goodbye world, that thought adds to the temporary conditions it seems to last forever but i think four or five minutes to tell the truth i am in somewhat of a shock mode and dont really know one minute from eternity when this is going on i am on three litters of oxygen 24x7 what can cause this to happen and is there some thing i can take prior to a movement i have tried alprazolam but to no avail. Is this a life threatening situation? i also have a G-tube, due to swallowin dificultys(esophageal spasms) e-mal add. ***@****
Tags: bowel, Heart
Dear Tom,

It is difficult to determine the cause of this sensation.  Your miedical history is quite complex.  I would suggest that you discuss this condition with your physician.  You might ask them to consider a holter monitor to determine if this is an arrythmia or a change in your heart rate with straining during a bowel movement.  

I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.

Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own
     doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call
     1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart
     Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to
     address your cardiac problem.
1 Comment
A related discussion, 90 year old female with medical issues was started.