Hepatitis C Community
How bad is it? My mother was diagnosed with HepC stage 4/cirrhosis.

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hi there. I am brand new to this forum. Sorry for any repeat questions. I greatly appreciate any info, thanks!

My mother just received the results of her liver biopsy today. We are being referred to a specialist, because her doctor is not able to treat patients with cirrhosis. What I want to know is what exactly does stage four mean? Her doctor did not tell us if she was compensated or decompensated. Is stage four considered end stage liver disease? I guess in plain terms how bad is it? Are we talking ribovarin and interferon treatments, or liver transplant? She does have some symptoms I have seen listed, such as itching, easily bruising/bleeding, nausea, edema/ascites (could be contributed to congestive heart failure?)personality changes, changes in sleep patterns, fatigue, soreness, and depression.
Stage four IS cirrhosis. Once there the liver can be compensated decompensated. Which one determines treatment or transplant. You might also ask for a MELD score. ELSD is decompensated. How bad is it? Plainly speaking... it is stage 4 of 4, so pretty bad. As in, don't panic, but don't wait a year or two, follow-up with treatment as soon as it can be setup. Whereas it may have taken decades to get here, it proceeds relatively quickly now. Welcome to the forum, it is an active forum with many knowledgeable and supportive people. What type of Hep C does she have? Let us know what the specialist says.
Thanks for the response. She has type 1.  So it all depends on the compensated or decompensated then. (Seems like the doctor SHOULD have explained that.. do they know from the biopsy?)  

I keep thinking..it's okay.. were just going to have to do treatment..and then..

I looked up MELD.."survival probability of a patient with end-stage liver disease" Is this referring to life expectancy? Stage 4 is end stage?!

I am so terrified.

"Her doctor did not tell us if she was compensated or decompensated."
Call the doctor and ask... Does she just have beginning cirrhosis or has she advanced to End-Stage Liver Disease? Then you will know what the options are.

"She does have some symptoms I have seen listed, such as itching, easily bruising/bleeding, nausea, edema/ascites (could be contributed to congestive heart failure?) personality changes, changes in sleep patterns, fatigue, soreness, and depression."
Compensated cirrhosis has little if any symptoms or complication in most patients. "If" she has the symptoms and complications you say she has (ONLY a doctor can truly diagnose a patient) then she has End-Stage Liver Disease (ESLD). Otherwise know as decompensated cirrhosis. If she has ascites, hepatic encephalopathy (sleep pattern changes, personality changes) she has ESLD.

Is stage four considered end stage liver disease?
No. Stage 4 just means cirrhosis. Cirrhosis is divided into stages itself depending on how advanced it is.

If and I say if she has ESLD she will need a liver transplant to continue living. Estimated time of survival is based on the MELD score.
What is her MELD score?

"I guess in plain terms how bad is it? "
A person can't live without a functioning liver. So if she has ESLD she will need a donor liver to continue living.

Are we talking ribavirin and interferon treatments, or liver transplant?
If she has ESLD, then it is probably too late for hepatitis C treatment. She will need a liver transplant.

Call the doctor and ask if she has ESLD and what her MELD score is.
Without these facts it is all guess work and speculation. Once you have the facts then we can help you. If she only has beginning cirrhosis she may be able to treat her hepatitis C.

Good luck.
Hector
"compensated or decompensated (... do they know from the biopsy?) "
No. A biopsy identifies the stage and inflammation of liver disease. Other tests (blood, endoscopy, etc.) symptoms and complications and MELD score identify how advanced the cirrhosis is.

Hector
You can have a MELD score and not have ESLD. For instance I have cirrhosis but not ESLD and my MELD score is 6. 15 and above is not good, below is good(as far as these things go), below 10 is even better.

http://www.globalrph.com/meld_score.htm

The above is a MELD calculator. As you see it has three components derived from blood tests. It would be a good idea to keep copies of labs, biopsy results, etc. All the best to you and your Mom.
Thank you so much for the information Hector,and James. I will call today and ask..I'll let you know ..
Wasdiagnosed withstage 4 of 4 in April 2012 after a liver biopsy. According toin PUG score 10 to 15 years to live. In extreme pain and nothing seems to help been in bed 90% of the time since Feb. Don't know what to e  Have lost over 150 lbs in past 1 1/2 years. Go to Vanderbilt Hospital on 11/29/12, scared to death. Any advice?
Hi Sue.
I am sorry about your diagnosis. This is an old thread and will likely disappear and not be seen again.

You need & deserve answers & options
Please, please, please copy and repost your question. Use the orange button at the top of the page. Like this:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_photos/show/292342?personal_page_id=1282072

Or even here (Cirrhosis Forum)
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Cirrhosis-of-the-Liver/show/1390
I have just been told I have stage 4 cirrhosis with Hep C already went thru the  ribavarin interferon treatment 5 yrs ago just had another biopsy went From end stage 3 to stage 4 I am scared to death don't know what to expect from here.
So sorry Cash that your biopsy was worrisome.
This is an old thread from 2012
You will get alot of help and support if you go to the top of this page to the green button it says post a question.  Use a title and then you can add your story.
Take care
.....Kim