Hepatitis Expert Forum
What if any foods to eat and not eat

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

What if any foods to eat and not eat

My brother was recently diagnosed with Hep C and is relying on me to help with information for the internet.  He said that he can no longer eat red meat.  Is this true and are there other fooods and or drink he should be staying away from?  Thank you for any info you can give me.

Dear Dahn:
I really appreciate the opportunity to talk about diet and hepatitis C.  The one thing that is critical to avoid is alcohol.  We know that significant alcohol intake and markedly accelerate the damage to the liver caused by hepatitis C and I encourage my patients with hepatitis C to drink as little as possible.  I certainly would not advise more than one or two drinks a week.  Less is better.
I feel diet is important in general though no particular diet has been shown to be harmful to patients with hepatitis C.  I feel that patients with hepatitis C should try to eat in a healthy manner just like anyone else.  That usually means less fat and less food rich in fats.  I generally recommend that patients lean more towards fish and chicken though that certainly does not need you cannot eat red meat at all.  
Good luck to your brother.  I hope this information is helpful to you.  If you have additional information or questions, I would invite you to post the material to MEDHELP or to contact us directly at Henry Ford (313) 916-8865.  If you are in the Detroit or Michigan area, I would certainly invite you to see us. We have an active group of liver specialists and we have a strong interest in and experience with hepatitis C.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation.  Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.