Hernia Repair Expert Forum
Worried about Possible Umbilical Hernia

This is a place to ask questions about hernia repair and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in hernia repair. A hernia occurs when part of an internal organ bulges through a weak area of muscle. Most hernias occur in the abdomen. Types of hernias, include, Inguinal, in the groin; Umbilical, around the belly button; Incisional, around or through a scar; Hiatal, in the diaphragm; Congenital Diaphragmatic, caused by a birth defect.

Worried about Possible Umbilical Hernia

This isn't exactly a question about hernia repair, and I hope I don't ever have to ask one. I'm 23 years old, and my dad had an umbilical hernia. My job is to advertise by dancing while holding a large sign, and I've been at it for 2 years and 4 months now. About 5 months ago, I experienced a sharp pain directly below my navel while I was working, and it was more intense when I tensed my lower abdominal muscles. It felt like, right under the skin, my muscles were pulling on something that didn't want to be stretched. The pain stayed with me a few days, but it got better and went away. Since then, however, it has occurred on several more occasions, all of which were when I was at work or right after I ended my shift. Most recently it happened last Saturday, started right when I got home from work. There was still a small amount of pain there on Sunday, and now (Tuesday) it's pretty much gone but I can still feel it when I stretch my abs while flexing them.

Now, here's the good news: I have no protrusion. I cannot detect anything poking out through my peritoneum. My guess is that my peritoneum either has a "weak spot" (probably inherited genetically) and I am lucky enough to be getting a warning to stop putting tension on it, OR it has a very small tear that isn't big enough for any noticeable bulge to get through.

I'm planning to see a doctor for it, but for complicated reasons I won't be able to do so until December. Until then, here's my big question: What particular nutrients strengthen serous membranes? I've heard people say that Omega-7s and sea buckthorn promote healthy serous membranes, is there any validity to this claim? If not, then what types of nutrients are needed for serous membranes to be strong and healthy? Should this question be in a different topic, such as preventative medicine? I will be extremely grateful for any help!