Do I have genital hsv-1?
About 16 years ago, my boyfriend performed oral sex on me when he had a cold sore. We didn't know that you could get genital herpes from that. I had what I believe was an initial outbreak but since then I've never had another outbreak but I do get oral herpes (cold sores) about 2 times a year. Do I have genital herpes? Can you have genital hsv-1 if you have oral hsv-1? Is it possible to have both if my initial exposure to both oral hsv-1 and genital hsv-1 occured at the same time?
it's not unusual at all to contract hsv1 both orally and genitally at the same time. what few studies we have say that it occurs anywhere from 1/4-2/3's of the time when someone contracts hsv1 genitally.  

at this point, probably best to assume you really do have it both places since no testing was done. should you ever get a recurrence of genital symptoms, be seen within 48 hours of their appearance for a lesion culture and typing. Hsv1 genitally doesn't reoccur very often and doesn't shed as often as oral hsv1 does.  You might go another 16 years even without getting a recurrence - only time will tell.

grace