Herpes Community
Herpes question

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes question

About 6 years ago, I had sex with a guy who, apparently, was not faithful. About 4 weeks after our last encounter, I developed severe itching in my genital area. Of course, I went crazy and started trying anything I could to relieve the itching, including OTC yeast medication, witch haze, even hydrogen peroxide. After about two weeks, I developed what looked like an ulcer in one area of my vulva. I went to planned parenthood and the doctor said it looked like it could be herpes and did a swab test. She warned me it could get a false negative. The results were negative. A few months later (just over four months after the sexual encounter), I went and had a blood test done for HSV, just to be sure. It also came back negative.
The whole std scare and unfaithful partner thing pretty much scarred me for life and I haven't had sex in the years since I was tested. Recently, I developed severe itching down there with no discharge and yesterday I noticed a tiny ulcer in the same general area as before. I am wondering what the chances of false negatives for both the swab & blood tests are? I'd like to get another blood test but want to know what one is the most accurate because I don't want to get another false negative. Also, I had shingles 5 months ago. Would that affect the results, since herpes zoster and herpes simplex are in the same viral family? Would it possibly give me a false positive?
the type specific herpes igg blood tests aren't affected by herpes zoster.

certainly be seen promptly and get a proper work up done. make sure they also test you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally when you were seen too.

grace