Aa
A
A
Close
Herpes question
About 6 years ago, I had sex with a guy who, apparently, was not faithful. About 4 weeks after our last encounter, I developed severe itching in my genital area. Of course, I went crazy and started trying anything I could to relieve the itching, including OTC yeast medication, witch haze, even hydrogen peroxide. After about two weeks, I developed what looked like an ulcer in one area of my vulva. I went to planned parenthood and the doctor said it looked like it could be herpes and did a swab test. She warned me it could get a false negative. The results were negative. A few months later (just over four months after the sexual encounter), I went and had a blood test done for HSV, just to be sure. It also came back negative.
The whole std scare and unfaithful partner thing pretty much scarred me for life and I haven't had sex in the years since I was tested. Recently, I developed severe itching down there with no discharge and yesterday I noticed a tiny ulcer in the same general area as before. I am wondering what the chances of false negatives for both the swab & blood tests are? I'd like to get another blood test but want to know what one is the most accurate because I don't want to get another false negative. Also, I had shingles 5 months ago. Would that affect the results, since herpes zoster and herpes simplex are in the same viral family? Would it possibly give me a false positive?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
101028 tn?1419606604
the type specific herpes igg blood tests aren't affected by herpes zoster.

certainly be seen promptly and get a proper work up done. make sure they also test you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally when you were seen too.

grace
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources