Herpes Community
Herpetic whitlow
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Herpetic whitlow

I currently have herpetic whitlow right at the joint of my pointer finger. I've had it before on other parts of my finger but not the joint. It is quite annoying and painful, I can't really move my finger anymore. What I have always done, since I've had herpetic whitlow, is to wait for most of the itch, pain, and symptoms to go away, then drain it myself. Right now I am tempted to do it early as I can barely use my left hand for anything.

I have read many treatments but no one really discusses draining the blister. I have always done this, but read that you should not do that ( no explanation given? ). Why is this? The blister will eventually burst and drain on its own ( no doubt from me straightening my finger eventually), why would me doing it have any ill effects? This way I could control and make sure the fluid doesn't end up on something without me realizing. Normally what I do is take a needle, sterilize it thoroughly, poke 2 or so holes in it, then drain it into a paper towel, wash it well, and put a bandaid over it. Seems a little safer and cleaner than letting it do it on its own.

Could someone explain why I should NOT do this?  Thanks.