Herpes Community
Something on my lip!?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Something on my lip!?

I have had a localized area of my lip which only gets chapped during weather change or if i eat something spicy, etc. and it's been like this for months if not over a year now. Everything is fine, I have a boyfriend and he does not have oral herpes. However, A few days ago I noticed that the little part of my lip got a little red on the edge and i thought nothing of it. It then was shiny and tight so I wanted to check if I had any mouth sores on the inside. I stretched my lip which cause two tiny little splits. They are fine there is no blister or anything but I just want to know if it could be herpes or if it is something else. the red is almost gone but it is still a tiny bit swollen, I asked my mother and she said it isn't noticeable I am just freaking out. I just want to make sure and see what it could be, hopefully not herpes. ANY insight or medical knowledge is really appreciated...Thank you!
oral herpes is incredibly common and nothing to freak out about. At this point following up on this with your provider is the best course of action. It could be oral herpes, it could be an allergy or many other things.  You can get a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what your herpes status is.

grace