Kidney Stones Community
Stone is stuck - when dangerous?

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

Stone is stuck - when dangerous?

I have been having kidney stone symptoms for about 6 weeks (blood, frequent urination, pelvic pain with no UTI present), but when they did a CT scan, there was no evidence of a stone.  Two days later I had unbearable pain, nausea, etc., and went to the ER.  The ultrasound showed complete blockage of the left ureter so they did another CT scan and found a 5mm stone stuck at the entrance to my bladder.  There was no flow of urine (she watched via ultrasound for 30 minutes) on that side and my left kidney was swollen.  So I was sent home and told to drink, move, etc. to try to get it to pass on its own.  I am doing everything I can, and I don't think it has budged.  I have incredible pressure and constant urgency to urinate, and by the end of the day each day I feel terrible.  At what point is the complete urine blockage to the left kidney dangerous and how will I know before I get kidney damage.  It has been nearly a week, and the doctor's office hasn't scheduled anything yet, but will if I hit 4 weeks.  But meanwhile, they are not running tests or anything.  It seems like this must be very hard on the kidney, so I am not sure if I should just keep drinking and exercising, doing cranberry, herms, taking Flomax, etc. or get a 2nd opinion.  Also, if and when the stone makes it to the baldder, will it come out quickly or can that be a long process as well?  Thanks for any advice.  I am desperate!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament.

For a short period of time like four weeks the pressure effects on the kidney should be reversible. Also, the passage depends on the size of the stones. Small stones are let to pass naturally, with medications support and by drinking plenty of oral fluids. Only if it does not pass then other options like Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) are used to break up the stone. So, follow the instructions given and follow up with your doctor to see if the stone has passed.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.