Liver Disorders Community
High ALT

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

High ALT

I'm a 51 YO male. Lift weights and cardio 5-6 days a week. I recently had my Testosterone level checked and included with this blood test was an ALT & AST ratio. They were AST 30 and  ALT was 57. I went back to a previous blood test from 8 months ago and they were; AST 14 and ALT 22 .The previous 5 yrs were the in the same zone. The life change between 8 months ago and now was that I have increased my protein consumption, roughly 12 oz of chicken and 6 oz of white fish 5 days a week as well as 2 protein shakes. I have no swelling and am not fat, weigh 194. Drink a gallon of tap water a day. Don't use drugs and never used IDU. Drink about 2 8oz whiskeys a week.. Any suggestions...
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What symptoms are present? The alanine aminotransferase (ALT) blood test is used to detect liver injury. While different laboratory may have different normal counts, it takes very high levels of ALT (more than 10 times the highest normal level) to cause concern. This could be due to acute hepatitis, exposure to drugs or other substances that are toxic to the liver as well as in conditions that cause decreased blood flow  to the liver. Also, strenuous exercise,fast food,  prescription drugs as well as some "natural" health products can also cause mild increases in ALT.  It is best that you discuss the results with your attending physician for proper evaluation. Monitoring of the liver enzymes for a period of time  may also be done. Take care and do keep us posted.