Liver Disorders Community
Liver pain

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Liver pain

Hi, i'm a 44 year old woman and i've been drinking alcohol almost every night after work for a number of years now. Just a couple of days ago i've notice a pain on my left side a little below or between the rib. I'm wondering if it could be my liver.

I'll appreciate any information you can give me since I do not want to share this part of my personal life with my doctor.

Thank you,
Sumernite
Could be anything. Your liver is situated on your right and extends round to about the middle of your body. It could be diverticulitis, kidney stones or probably a bunch of other things. I doubt it is your liver. Liver disease is one of the 'Silent Killers' in that it shows no signs or symptoms until very late in the disease and will eventually show itself in ways much worse than a pain.

Cirrhosis is extremely rare. Less than 15% of all chronic alcoholics get the disease. The jury is out on whether alcohol is even a cause of cirrhosis given the low incidence rate. There is no medical proof of a link between drinking and cirrhosis.

Having said that, you would be unwise not to have your symptoms checked out.
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

Craig
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
Jun 26
10356 commented on dominosarah's status
Jun 26
Track your weight over time