Liver Disorders Community
high Alk Phos, yellow eyelids....

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

high Alk Phos, yellow eyelids....

I have experienced upper right quadrant pain for the past 5 years....went to the Dr back in 12/06 and they did a gall bladder u/s and decided it must be rib pain (I knew it wasnt).  The pain has persisted since then and has gotten worse, often radiating into my back.  I underwent a physical 8 years ago prior to trying to start a family and had HBV and HIV ran (thought they did the HCV too, but found out they didnt).  I went to my GYN a couple of weeks ago and verified that they had never ordered HCV and had them order it.  It came back negative.  I have had persistant elevated Alk Phos since 2001 and occasional elevated ALT and AST.  In August I noticed that my eyelids have turned a yellow/orange color.  I went to the healthfair and had my labwork done and again the Alk phos came back slightly elevated.  I went to the Dr today and she completely blew me off.  She said as far as my eyelids,  I need to go "get a facial because Im getting older".  I am 38.  She agrees that she sees the yellow, but since billirubin is normal as is my sclera, nothing to worry about.    She said because my Alk phos is barely elevated at 108, nothing to worry about.  Well, why over the past 10 years have I had elevated liver enzymes in at least 8 lab reports.  This pain is getting worse in my side, actually quite bothersome and I dont want to take anything for it that is bad for me.  I questioned her about hemochromatosis, but she wont check my iron levels (thought that was maybe why my eyelids are yellow/orange).  Also, completely crazy, but 2 mos ago, I had an elevated temp of about 99.8 (not a fever, but elevated) for a couple of weeks.  I had some urine test strips (had them for my kids who have had a couple of UTI's) and decided to check my urine to make sure no infection was causing my higher temp.  I had eaten round steak for supper and when I checked my urine the strip went straight to black on the ketones (normal is lavender).  I am by no means on the Atkins diet.  I enjoy eating meat, but I eat more carbs then meat, so I was a bit baffled.  Since then, I have noticed that EVERY time I eat red meat, within 3 hours I am in ketosis.  My fasting BS are good and I have no indication of having a diabetic problem.  I mentioned this to my doctor and she said "quit testing your urine".  She also said " I have no idea why there would be ketones" .  I used to work at the same clinic she is at.  I worked in  the lab as the lab nurse and tested peoples urine all of the time.  While I worked there 3-4 years ago, I was pg and occasionally would check my own for protein etc., but I never had ketones, so this is new.  She has ordered a HIDA scan that I will have done next week.  I am just really bummed that she didnt take me serious.  As I sit here typing this, the pain is clear through to my back.  It is usually a nice dull ache.  I am so sick of it.  Anyone have any ideas on what my problem is????
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There could be many causes for the pain you are experiencing. The common causes for the  pain could be infections/inflammations of the bowel, kidney disorders like pyeloneohritis, glomerulonephritis or renal colic. Others are pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy, endometritis and polycystic ovarian syndrome. If the pain starts at the back and goes down to the front of the abdomen, it could most probably be a renal colic. This happens when urine is trying to pass through an obstruction usually a stone. But this pain is very severe and colicky. Other causes for pain could be peptic ulcer disease and GERD. You will need to consult your primary care physician for proper evaluation of pain and therapy

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.