Liver Disorders Community
liver causing pain for my 17 year old?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

liver causing pain for my 17 year old?

my type 1 diabetic daughter has been in and out of hospital for the past 2 weeks with severe right side abdomen pain and just had an ultrasound and ct scan which revealed an enlarged liver that is echogenic consistant with fatty infiltration. there are several echogenic nodules in the liver
the opinion from the radiologist is hepatomegaly with fatty infiltration and multiple echogenic hepatic hemangiomas
my question is: what does this mean and would this cause the severe pain and vomiting?
is this a dangerous situation?
she is awaiting an appointment with a specialist
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your daughter?  Enlarged liver or hepatomegaly may be caused by a variety of conditions and these may present with abdominal pain. A hepatic hemangioma, or  a noncancerous liver tumor made of dilated blood vessels is the most common noncancerous tumor of the liver. It is believed to be a birth defect and may not produce symptoms. However, in rare cases, a cavernous hemangioma may rupture. If the pain persists, it is best that you have this evaluated further by her attending physician. The ultrasound and ct scan results are only a part of the overall assessment and must be correlated with the symptoms and results of other diagnostic tests for proper analysis, Do keep us posted with her follow-up with the specialist. Take care always.