Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Dr. Schiano
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dr. Schiano

Hello there once again. You've answered many of my questions regarding my high liver enzymes. I forgot to also ask you another question, pertaining to Endoscopy procedure & what is actually being viewed? My reason for asking this is because I had an attack about 5 yrs. ago, that I had excruciating pain to where it woke me up out of a sound sleep. I was double over with pain radiating from under my left rib cage around to my back into my shoulder blades. Since that attack, I notice that I frequently have what I call trapped gas when eating veggies ect. not as much when taking beeno. It takes along time with using gas x as well as having to have to massage under the left ribcage sometimes for a long period of time to relieve the gas. It's a very painful. Well, I never did receive a diagnoses for the cause. Therefore, when I was at the Dr.'s yesterday & mentioned it to him along with a issue I had yrs. ago, long long story, but was misdiagnosed with having a hiatal hernia, and was prescribed prevacid. Well, I then was switched to protonix due to having Esophageal spasm's. Anyhow, since I've been on protonix, I haven't had any spasm's. Well anyhow, I asked the Gastro. if I could discontinue the protonix or ween off because of the misdiagnoses. Well, his response is he'd want to perform a  endoscopy to make a proper diagnosis relating to the hiatal hernia. In any matter, I am curious if a Endoscopy will show what's going on with the stomach? Thanks once again for your assistance.
Tags: endoscopy
517301_tn?1229801385
an endoscopy may or may not be helpful.  Hiatal hernia themselves do not cause problems but can lead to reflux symptoms.  You might have non-ulcer dyspepsis.  a trial of being off the protonix may be warranted to see how you do.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
517301_tn?1229801385
Thomas D Schiano, MDBlank
The Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York, NY
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker