Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Dr. Schiano

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Dr. Schiano

Hello there once again. You've answered many of my questions regarding my high liver enzymes. I forgot to also ask you another question, pertaining to Endoscopy procedure & what is actually being viewed? My reason for asking this is because I had an attack about 5 yrs. ago, that I had excruciating pain to where it woke me up out of a sound sleep. I was double over with pain radiating from under my left rib cage around to my back into my shoulder blades. Since that attack, I notice that I frequently have what I call trapped gas when eating veggies ect. not as much when taking beeno. It takes along time with using gas x as well as having to have to massage under the left ribcage sometimes for a long period of time to relieve the gas. It's a very painful. Well, I never did receive a diagnoses for the cause. Therefore, when I was at the Dr.'s yesterday & mentioned it to him along with a issue I had yrs. ago, long long story, but was misdiagnosed with having a hiatal hernia, and was prescribed prevacid. Well, I then was switched to protonix due to having Esophageal spasm's. Anyhow, since I've been on protonix, I haven't had any spasm's. Well anyhow, I asked the Gastro. if I could discontinue the protonix or ween off because of the misdiagnoses. Well, his response is he'd want to perform a  endoscopy to make a proper diagnosis relating to the hiatal hernia. In any matter, I am curious if a Endoscopy will show what's going on with the stomach? Thanks once again for your assistance.
Tags: endoscopy
an endoscopy may or may not be helpful.  Hiatal hernia themselves do not cause problems but can lead to reflux symptoms.  You might have non-ulcer dyspepsis.  a trial of being off the protonix may be warranted to see how you do.