Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Elevated Liver Enzymes, Fatique, Weakness, Joint Pain and More
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Elevated Liver Enzymes, Fatique, Weakness, Joint Pain and More

Beginning on October 17, my husband, age 34 who is generally healthy, developed symptoms quite suddenly.  He experienced extreme fatigue, weakness, a pressure on his chest, joint pain, weakness and pain in his hands (VERY weak grip), no appetite (always felt full), shortness of breath when climbing stairs and ladders (which is something he does frequently with no problems), upper body pain/discomfort, diarrhea, which was clear and then when became more solid turned whitish.  He went to the doctor, who ordered lab work. He had blood work done a chest X-ray. The X-ray was negative for anything, but the blood work showed elevated liver enzymes, to which further testing of that blood was ordered. The appointment and blood work were done on Friday of the same week his symptoms developed. He was still feeling bad and had begun "researching" his symptoms online and became quite scared. We went to the ER on Saturday, where they ran a whole bunch more tests...blood work, ultrasound (as there was some pain when pressing below his sternum), urine test, EKG, CT, more blood work, and an overnight stay for obsevation. All tests came back negative, except for elevated liver enzymes. They released him and said it must be some kind of virus. A week later he is feeling better but he's not 100% and still has weakness in his hands. A follow up doctor's appointment today revealed that his enzymes are still elevated but have come down since last week.
The doctor suggested no alcohol, which he only drinks maybe 8 or so over the course of a weekend. He is to have more blood work done and has another appointment scheduled on November 16.  
Does any of this sound strange, or am I thinking about this too much and making a bigger deal out of it than it is? No one else in our family has had anything like this, so it doesn't seem to be contagious. Could you please enlighten?  Thank you for your time.
517301_tn?1229801385
i am not entirely sure what happened but thankfully he seems to be getting a bit better.  any viral illness or systemic problem can cause a non-specific elevation in the liver tests. It sounds like it could have been a viral ilnnes as he had prodromal symptoms. i agree with holding off on the alcohol for now. i think that things wil continue to improve with time.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
517301_tn?1229801385
Thomas D Schiano, MDBlank
The Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York, NY
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker