Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Low protein Diet

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Low protein Diet
Hi5
My son who has liver failure is following low protein diet & taking Lactulose.  Is there any advantage to using plant based protein (soy products) as opposed to chicken or fish to get some protein?  Do plant based proteins cause less amonia problems or is protein the same reguardless of where it comes from?  (I know red meat is a no no.)  Thank you.
only if patients have severe hepatic encephalopathy should vegetable proteins be used instead of animal proteins.  protein intake is extremely important an needs to be maintained.  It is a misconception that protein intake should be limited, which will worsen the malnutrition of cirrhosis.