Liver Transplant Expert Forum
elevated ggt and ast only

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

elevated ggt and ast only
i've been taking *arava for maybe 1-2 years and getting blood work every 2 months consecutively.  Well for the last 6 months my liver enzymes have been fluctuating my ast is always elevated but my alt goes up and down right now my ast and ggt is elevated and my alt is completely normal.  I am not nor have i ever been a drinker not even a smoker i have been off the *arava for more than 2 months, however, my enzymes continue to rise.  is this dangerous because i had a lft on 8-15-11 and my ast was elevated so my pcp repeated it yesterday and it has risen another 13 points.

please help
i am glad that you stopped taking the arava.  it is still possible that the abnormal liver tests are a residua from it.  If the abnormalities persist more comprehensive testing for other liver causes such as viral hepatitis should be performed.