Menopause Expert Forum
Perimenopause question

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Perimenopause question

I have some strange things going on with my body and was wondering if I'm beginning menopause.
First, I'm having breast issues that have given me a scare. The main issue now is feelings of let down/leaking feeling with no leakage.
Second, I've become emotional over the smallest of things. I've waken to damp clothing in the mornings (mainly underarms and sides). I have trouble sleeping, get irritable and have regular headaches (I thought that was part of stress).
Lastly, I have ZERO sex drive (my poor husband) to which is not normal for me.
I plan on scheduling an appointment with my OB-GYN for my annual checkup, but I just wanted a little insight. I'm 35YO and unfortunetly cannot consult my mother because she passed away from complications of diabetes in 2004.
Sorry to hear of the loss of your mom at such an early age. You seem to be having a lot of symptoms now and it's good you have an appointment with your doctor. Since your mom had diabetes, a check for that is important and could cause some of your symptoms. Talk with him or her about that.

You could also be going into an early menopause. Ask if you can have some blood testing done for FSH (which if elevated is a signal of perimenopause), testosterone (which could be a reason for lower sex drive) and your estrogen level. You could also have a blood test for thyroid hormone. If thyroid is low (TSH and T4 are the tests for that) it could also explain all your symptoms. About 5% of women have a thyroid problem. You could also check the prolactin level, a hormone that goes up with breast fullness and discharge (realize you don't have leakage at this time).

These tests plus an exam should help find the problem.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD