Menopause Expert Forum
breasts hurt and no period since sept 2006 what does this mean?

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

hi i had my left ovary and tube removed jan 2006 my body went into shock 2 weeks later i ended up with panic attacks and depression along with agoraphobia i was so scared of being home alone i cried allmost all the time i even called 911 thinking i was dieing well 2 mos later i got my first period and id skip for 2 months then have 1 and the same till sept thats the last one i had but my breasts hurt and are very sore and are very bothersome i go to a gp and he says its nothing im due for my yrly exam feb 9th and i have ask him to check my hormones but he says he sees no reason to do so theres my gyn and he checks for hormone levels and everything for something like this should i see a gyn .cause i would like to know what my hormone levels are i dont have any menopause symtons alls i have is panic and aniety but im now taking zoloft i was on effexor for 7 mos and they didnt help at all and onemore thing will my hormones come back to normal by taking the zoloft for awhile or will i have to take them the rest of my life?
thanks vickie
any advice would be helpfull.
A. It sounds like you are having a difficult time. Depending on your hormonal levels at the time of your surgery in January 2006, that could have thrown your body into perimenopause and then your body got used to the lower hormone levels and your remaining ovary began to produce more hormones, which often happens. Now it seems the remaining ovary is producing less hormones and that is why you are having less regular periods and tender breasts.

The best way to find out is to measure your hormones such as FSH, LH, estradiol and progesterone.  Sometimes low estrogen, especially if it happens abruptly after the removal of an ovary, can cause anxiety and in particular, heart palpitations that can make a person feel anxious.  Talk with your gyn about possibly trying a course of estrogen and progesterone if it is a reasonable consideration for you. Trying a low dose might be all that is needed and you will know for sure in a month or so. As for the Zoloft, it will not make your hormones come back to normal. It doesn