Menopause Expert Forum
menopause and age

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

menopause and age
At 55 years old I still have periods.  They are somewhat irregular, but they come every 30 - 40 days.  I do have night sweats and most of the other perimenopausal symptoms.  Can this be a problem?
A. You are certainly at the upper end of when menopause can come, but it does not seem that there is a problem judging from your history.  If your story happens the way it does for most women, you will be going through menopause in the next year.  In any event, it does not seem a problem.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD