Menopause Expert Forum
palpations

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

palpations

two years ago my  right upper lobe of my lung was removed due to an infection. The rest of the right lung is encased in scarr tissue so it now pretty worthless.  Since then I am extremly hot all the time, have a hard time staying a sleep, gained about 25 pounds, and now started having palpations which sometimes last for 3-4 hours.  My doctor tells me to excercise. I think i need to find a new doctor. At any rate I still get my periods on a regular basis they just don't last as long. I'm thinking this could be perimenpause. I'am  48 with two children.. Is having the palpations for that lenght of tim normal ?
Palpitations are a normal and common part of menopause. However, since you have weight gain and feel hot, ask your doctor to check your thyroid hormone levels as well. It it also possible to have palpitations from many other things. For that reason, it is a good idea to have a complete evaluation to be sure that your prior lung infection and surgery, or some new problem, is not the real cause of the problem. The palpitations due to menopause will eventually stop.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD