Multiple Sclerosis Community
Gabapentin?? side effects?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Gabapentin?? side effects?

Hi there, the MS specialist wants me to up the dose of gabapentin, I'm not taking much right now, only 1 pill 300 mg at night as it really tires me out.

She wants me to take 100 mg twice a day in the daytime, but I'm taking amantadine twice a day to help with fatigue.  Now the gabapentine twice a day makes me tired?  

does gabapentin have a side effect that effects you mouth...my teeth, gums.. etc..get so sore everyday for the past few days, not sure why.  I though maybe one tooth, but the other parts of my mouth get sore as well?

plus I'm so out of it, that I can't go outside... I'm so tired and can't seem to sit for long.  

I don't know if its the meds...cause the amount isn't that high... if not the meds...why is this happening?

I'm not sure what to do about it..

take care
wobbly
dx

I had some side affects when they tried to up my dosage. I'm currently on 300mg daily. They wanted me on 600mg daily but it made me feel funny in the head. I felt drunk and dizzy all day. I decided to up it slower than they wanted me to and the neuro agreed.

Is your mouth dry too or just sore?
Hi there,
I can relate to your problem.  I take Gabapentin, I started on 900mg daily and now take 1800mg daily.

At first I suffered from the dry mouth, some double vision etc. especially when I upped the dose but my body has gotten used to it and I do find it helps.  You do need to give it time, I started on a weekend when I didn't have to work but this time round took longer to get used to but I must admit I just went straight to doubling it rather than doing it gradually.

I recently tried to take gabapentin with amitriptiline under my Drs orders but it made me so bad (sleepy) that I couldn't function for work, so I had to stop it, my Dr suggested I take a weeks holiday and take it for a week at bedtime and then my body would get used to it, but I can't do that at the moment. (the amitriptiline i mean).

Hang in there, increase the dose gradually, your body will adjust, but any unusual side affects talk to your DR.

Take care,
Udkas
my mouth feels dry and sore... side of my face is sore near my right ear... I feel dizzy and off balance, cant consentrate.  I don't know if I should be taking amantadine as well as the gabapentin.  

I don't know...these are not fun to take.  I feel like I have no energy to do anything or consentrate to get anything done.  my head movements are worse since I've been taking more too?  The Dr said I have nerve damage so I have head tibulation?  

the gabapentin has not improved the pains in my legs that I get in the evening.  or the zapping, tingling.....maybe it's not high enough.. they said to go up to two pills, twice a day... like 200 mg twice a day and 300mg at bedtime.  I can't get to the two 100mg twice a day without feeling dizzy etc.

thanks for your reply... I guess the side effects might just slow down and we will see
take care
wobbly
dx
I will keep taking the gabapentin, and give it time to work... and up it slowly.

thanks
wobbly
dx

Hi! Sorry you are suffering side effects. I am on 1800 mg a day and am suffering spinning sensations (vertigo).

It's my own fault because I thought it was making me gain weight so I lowered my own dose (slowly) to see if it made a difference and when it didn't I started upping back to my normal dose to get the burning sensations back under control. Now I too have to suffer some side effects.

Hang in there it will get better and you are not alone.

Hugs,
Erin :)
My dr just prescribed gabapentin to me today, my husband is picking it up now.  She is giving it to me for my headaches..i am a bit skeptical about it helping but they know more than i do.

I take my first dose tonight, not sure of the dosage yet.  

Are you or anyone else taked it for headaches?  

hugs, meg

Hi there.. I'm not taking it for headaches...I don't get them... I'm taking it for leg pains, and tingling, numbness etc.. it's supposed to help with neuro pain...

what I can tell you now is take it at a low dose to start and go up slowly, otherwise you might get side effects... some people do and others do not.  

good luck.
wobbly
My husband takes it for headaches.  Doesn't always keep them at bay, but it definitely helps.

Good luck,
Karen
Yes, she said she was starting me at a low dose, and i trust her a lot since she is my MS dr.

and, Karen, i am so glad it helps your husbands headaches.

I am concerned about starting them right now because I am going to have some extraction soon and i dont know if they can be taken with pain meds, which i will need for litte while.

hugs, meg
Gabapentin does make you sleepy and sometimes foggy in the brain.  
Just FYI, I have been researching MS alot lately and saw that sometimes oral pain or toothache's can also be a symptom of ms.  
I also take gabapentin for leg tingling  and pain in legs as spasms prescribed by my neurologist.. I take 400 mgs.. it helps my energy level, i take it 4times dailey.It does help also with the leg spasms, but not the tingling.  I have not been diagnosed with ms, which i feel is what i probably have-have had these symptoms for over 20 years.  I have vertigo, dizziness, fatigue, leg pins and needles and spasms.  I have had several mri's, one did show some leisons.  It is very frusturating, have had every test other than a recent spinal tap, which i do not want to have.Last one was 15 years ago, and was clear.I take effexor also, this does help for some reason with the head noise and vertigo.
Gabapentin was one of the most difficult medicines to which I've ever had to become acclimated, but since I did, it has been well worth it.  I was having severe eye pain, particularly orbital pain.  It was frequently debilitating.  I had the pain nearly all of every day.  On a 1-10 scale I'd have rated it at least a 6, usually 7 or 8, and sometimes pushing a 9.  (This is from someone who has a history of kidney stones with complications that once required a 17 day hospitalization.)  Now I still have it nearly every day, but for less than an hour almost every day that it occurs, and at a level of 2 to 4 for severity.

I started with 300 mg 1x/day, and was to do three days, then 2x/day for 3 more, then 3x/day.  Well, to make a long story short (HA! Me?!), my 3-day steps wound up being closer to 3-week steps.  After a month or so at 900, the neuro-ophthalmologist agreed with my proposal to up it to 1200 mg/day.  Also, I recently began taking them more nearly around the clock rather than all at bedtime, and this also seems to have helped quite a bit.

Overall, I rate gabapentin as the only thing that has had any lasting positive effect for any  of my symptoms.  That might have something to do with the fact that this was the only doctor who seemed to genuinely listen to all I had to say before leaping to any conclusions.
by kellieg71, Sep 11, 2009 11:59PM
To: wobbly

>>Just FYI, I have been researching MS alot lately and saw that sometimes oral pain or toothache's can also be a symptom of ms.  

hey, do you have the link that shows this information? sometime back i went and had a tooth pulled due to the shooting pain. guess what? pain is sill there. on my right side. same side that has the dull throbbing pain in the eye.

gabapentin does nothing for it ...
Hey Meg,

Fwiw, I just got diagnosed Gabapentin for headaches. But I'm just starting it so I don't know anything about it yet, really. I'm also starting on a low dose and building up. Let's hope it works for both of us!!
That is all great feedback...I just started my Gabapentin last night, so Sick Momma we need to stay in touch and see how it goes for both of us.

The Dr started me on 300mg for one week and then go to 400mg.
I didnt finish that message,,,i guess i hit the wrong button.  I hope this med is as good for me as it seems to be for some of you.....

When my MS Dr. prescribed, i argued that I thought it was my eyes....but I should trust her judgement, she is usually right.

I dont have toothaches, just bad teeth...

later, meg
Meg:

We should totally keep in touch about it! I just started last night 300 mg pills 1x/day for three days, then 2x per day for 3 days and then 3x/day. I took my first pill at bedtime and was actually disappointed that it didn't seem to help me fall asleep. But maybe that's the reason for my having a bad fatigue day today? Time will tell. Definitely not helping with my headaches yet.

(And I hope everyone understood I meant I'd been prescribed gabapentin rather than diagnosed! I hate it when my brain farts and I use an incorrect word even though I know the right one. Happens a lot more in speech than in writing -- I think this was the first time I'd done it in writing ... at least that I've noticed!)

--SM

I started mine last night and I was really sleepy this afternoon not sure if its a side effect or not. My fatigue really doesnt make me sleepy..

Time will tell I guess.  But someone said it can make you sleepy, but the next day?

we will see what happens tomorrow...

hugs, meg

I am not dx MS, but I took Gabapentin for a wrist issue where I couldn't use my wrist for a month with no explanation. I was out of it, made really bad decisions (decided to remodel the entire office with a 60 day deadline - oops) was tired and my wrist still hurt. So then when I tried to get off it, that's when the problems really started. I do not have depression, I am not suffering from a chemical imbalance, I do not have hopeless thoughts, but when I tried to stop taking Gabapentin I did not want to move, breathe or enter the next day. It was confusing and scary. Do your research on this drug just so you can be prepared and don't get sideblinded like I did.
I have recently built up my does to 3 x 100 mg a day and it is helping with the parathesia but does not help me sleep. My MS Nurse said that her intention with it for me is that if it gets rid of some pain and parathesia then sleep will follow.

I returned to see my GP this week as she wanted to see me after I had reached this dose and she has now told me to take 200mg at night and 2x 100mg during the day. She is happy for me to build to 200mg x 3 times s day. Her actual words were 'play with it until you are happy'. I then have to see her again before I take anymore. 300mg a day is the minimum dose and doesn't always work because it is such a low dose. I find supplementing it with analgesic helps.

It has not made me tired, although it is hard to tell the difference some days as I suffer with fatigue too in a random fashion. However, my GP would like to see me without pain for at least 50% of the time and that is the reason for it.

Reading the health page that Quix did on pain management in MS is enlightening and educational, it certainly helped me.

Pat x
I went to the specialist and was told to "play with the meds limit as well" ... first stop what I'm taking which was only 500mg a day..for a few days...then start up again slowing and play with it... keep the Dr informed as how I'm feeling..

he gave me his email and want's me to stay in touch with him that way unless I'm feeling worse then before.. I'm hoping it helps with some of the pain.  and not have side effects too bad.

I have stopped the day time dose...still take the 300mg at bedtime because when I stopped the bedtime med I couldn't sleep...now I didn't give it much time..I started the 300 mg as it helps me sleep and stops the leg pains in bed.

I feel better not taking it in the daytime.. I'm not as constipated as I was..but I was taking Amantadine as well as Gabapentin, so I'm not sure which one made me constipated.  My leg pains through the day are alot worse since I stopped the med in the daytime, so I'm thinking of starting it again...without the Amantadine to see if it helps.. 100mg once a day then twice a day..

like he said I'll play with it.. but not take the Amantadine unless I get horrible fatigue again.  

take care and good luck with this med
wobbly
dx
So far I have had no sgnificant side effects from the Gabapentin, my headaches are a bit better, but I have been feeling better anyway, but it's most likely not the Gabapentin since I only started it about a week ago.

I thought it was making me sleepy but that was only the first day after I took it the previous night.

hugs, meg
what dose are you taking now..?  and started??

I'm uping mine slowing... 400 mg a day so far and it good so far..
doesn't help with anything...but I'm not zoned out yet or anything..

take care
wobbly
Yep, I take Gabapentin also and a pretty high dose.  It does help me, but I hate taking any meds.......Like PastorDan once I got used to it, I was glad to have it.  My sister can tolerate a much lower dose than I can, so I know there are differences in tolerance and finding the right level.  Best wishes on that quest. :)
Tracy
Hi my name is Julie i have been taking gabaentin for about 6/7 months with no side effects. I started on 900mgs  a day taken as 1x300mgs in the morning, afternoon and again at night  soon after symptoms in my legs became unbearable so the dose was increased to 1800mgs a day 3x300mgs in the morning and 3x300mgs at bed time. I have had  no side effects from this dose either. Keep sticking with it as you will benefit from this drug through time if it agrees with your system. Take care and keep well.
Best Wishes
Julie x  
Does gabapentin cause weight gain..i am gaining weight, but not sure what is causing it.  I havent changed my diet but then again maybe I will have to.

This could become a serious RANT !!

So far I have no bad side affects from gabapentin yet..my fatigue is geting better thiugh, but not sure why.

hugs, meg
I've heard it does ... but I havent gained yet...but then my appitite is off aibt.. how are you headaches now??  My leg pains have improved abit..

take care
wobbly
Wobbly, I too took gabapentin.  I started at 100 mg 3x daily, still wasn't getting much relief.  It was upped to 300 mg 3x daily.  

I never had any side effects.  I guess I was one of the lucky ones.  However, I have gained 30 pounds in a year.  Because I was complaining about it they (my doc and the pharmacist)  switched me to Lyrica.  For 2 months I have not gained any but I haven't lost it either.

If I remember right you also have had bouts of anemia.  One symptom of anemia is sore tongue and mouth.  Cracks at the corner of the mouth and also thrush.  

I hope you find the correct dose and find some pain relief.

terry
I have taken gabapentin for lots of years, off & on since 1991. It has never caused me to gain weight. When Lyrica was approved for nerve pain, my PCP thought I should switch. First off it was sssoooo expensive! $75.00 co-pay. Then IT caused me to gain 15lbs in a month! So, switched back to gab. I take 1 300mg pill 3x a day, + 2 at night. And can increase when I need to. I also can take Tramadol, 2 50mg tabs 4x a day. I don't usually need to take that many for pain. So, to answer one of your above questions, yes you can take pain pills along with the gab. If there is anything else I can answer, please feel free to ask. I hope your headaches are gone soon.

Maggie

It sounds as if everyone has different reactions to this drug..i am taking 600 mgs a day at bedtime, it makes me sleep good, i don't know how anyone can take it during the or in such high doses.

I am way too sleepy to type....later..

hugs, meg
I think everybody has different experiences with meds for many reasons, but here's my unique experience with gabapentin maybe pointing out some things not mentioned above.  I have been taking 4x900.  It took me a while to figure out what might be gabapentin side effects because I was on, starting, or stopping so many other meds at first.  

I believe gabapentin causes my feet to slightly swell to where I use diabetic socks to keep from cutting off circulation and getting cold feet.  I think this is common for older people.  I am 52.

My vision changes anytime the dosage of gabapentin is changed, so I have had to update glasses almost every dosage change. Catching the vision change thing for me reduced the feeling of dizziness because it was just the need for different glasses.  Noticed certain fluorescent lights take time to adjust to, but can't say if it is connected to gaba.  

Initially when on 300mg/d, I learned if I skipped gaba more than a day, I would pay with adjustment side effects of dizziness, etc. all over again the next time I took it.  I have gerd/acid reflux and have to be careful because certain gerd meds may block the amount of gaba dosage absorbed and causes the side effects of changing gaba dosages if not timing when meds are taken.

Even though it says on the insert to stay away from grapefruit and maybe other citrus while on gaba, I also discovered that drinking Squirt and some other popular clear sodas with citrus will greatly interact with gaba and cause dizziness and other negatives like feeling of being slightly drunk (they should mention sodas with grapefruit/citrus as well on the insert and the neurontin website because people don't think of sodas having grapefruit sometimes).  

I have gained about 15 pounds either from inactivity or gaba or both over the last two years.  I am a computer programmer and have to admit, I cannot do multiple calculations in my head anymore. I think my concentration regained somewhat after a long term adjustment to a fixed dosage. I learned to use additional tools to help keep organized and reminded. I think in my situation, the life changing health crisis may also have played a part in concentration. Any negatives have been more than worth the cost for the benefits in my situation.  
Hi there...that's very interesting to hear others info that we haven't heard before... could you tell me why you take Gabapentin...is it for MS Pain...or tingling, numbness...

by the way... I'm 56 and not an older person....hahahaha

I have Gerds as well and take Pariet daily for it.. and drink Diet 7 UP..
should I be not drinking this?  

I didn't see any info on this...but then I don't like to check them out too much as I would get every side effect I read..hehehe

take care
wobbly
dx
I know this is the MS community, but I was searching for gaba info because I am at such a high dosage.   After 5 years of neurologic pain in my chest and shoulder (which always mimicked angina or a heart attack), in 2007 a doctor prescribed 300 mg of gabapentin that took those pains away, but not before a year long frozen shoulder.

Then shortly after this in 2007, I started getting unbelievable pain attacks. I can only describe the attacks as if a steak knife was stabbed in my upper side under my arm pit, then the knife is ripped down towards my groin and sometimes then down my leg.  Thankfully, each attack only lasts a 1-2 seconds.  Most days, I would only get 2-5 attacks, but had some days of 20-100 attacks.  When I get more than 3-4 attacks, I cannot get out of bed for a day or two after.  These attacks give me ongoing swollen, pulled stomach muscles from reacting to the torturous pain, which my doctor thought were tumors at first because people don't get pulled muscles in those spots.  There was no more driving because I would wreck if I had an attack and no more going out in public because of embarrassing yelling during attacks and people sure I was having a heart attack. About 12 years ago in an accident, I ripped off my finger tips, took a chunk out of my arm, and hit my back so hard it was black.  It didn't hurt as bad as one of these pain attacks.

Pain doctor and another doc think it is postherpetic neuralgia, but primary doc and neuro are just leaving it at peripheral neuropathy.  Recently had pain go to other side, so that throws a new wrench. Gaba has been a life saver for me. I have eliminated a lot of other negative meds knowing it is what works for me.

I think Diet 7up is fine because of its contents.  It is also the closest of all sodas to the ph of water.  Definitely Squirt could cause a side effect in some people taking gaba.  Other sodas that say citrus might too, because grapefruit is cheap juice.  I am on a PPI and ranitidine, plus occasionally need coating stuff like sucralfate, so my gerd meds are more extreme than some.  I am guessing, but things that coat like tums, bismus, sucralfate might be more of an issue than PPI's and Zantac for some that are just adjusting to gaba.  Just timing the gaba an hour or two before or after gerd stuff would help consistency rather than at same time.  Tums/Rolaids can affect some blood pressure and other meds the same way.  

As far as age, it is not the year of the car, but the mileage.  Also attitude makes the difference between highway miles and off road.  :-)
I take 2 300mg a side and I feel like getting up and doing anything and doing it really fast. but why?
Hi to you,
I have had NO side effects to the Gabapentin, I take 2700 mgs. per day, and I could not get through the day without it.... keep persisting, it will be worth it in the end.

*HUGS*
Candy
Be prepared to gain weight.  Lyrica and gapapentin have been VERY helpful to me, but you can't keep the weight off and it comes on very quickly.  I guess we all have to figure out which side effects we are willing to tolerate, but I won't tolerate obesity and diabetes as side effects.
Most people complain about weight gain on Lyrica and gabapentin. I had that issue a bit with Lyrica but when I switched to gabapentin the weight came off quickly ( water weight I suspect) and I have maintained my normal weight on gabapentin. Have only gained a couple of lbs in the last year or more, but I need to and I was trying to gain.

I think each of us responds differently to drugs. Its worth it to try a drug to see if it takes care of the pain and suffering but if it causes undesirable side effects to the point of endangering your health, then a switch would be in the cards.

Just my opinion and experience.

Jessica
I take 3 - 300mg tabs a day totaling 2700mg daily. < (Not a Typo)   At first I was so out of it I had to take time off work, it doesn't bother me but now I'm felling tight in the neck, fingers, and arms.  Fingers and hands go numb sometimes just the tips but also the whole hand.  When i stretch out or get moving at work it subsides, but always comes back.  Is it just me or has anyone else felt these symptoms?  and to comment on the teeth and gums hurting I noticed, and my wife has noticed I don't grind but I hold my teeth together real hard. Hope that helps
I just recently started taking this med...300 mg at bedtime for numbness in my feet. I have a separation in my spine so like you I have had pain for quite sometimes almost 20 years where I would say almost always pain level  5 some days I'd stay in bed I hurt so bad. They never find anything wrong with me until I said numb feet. My Dr. checked reflexes which were none in my right leg asked if I had any back problems...I said yes and he said probably nerve damage and gave me this med. I have been taking it for 2 weeks without any negative effects and when I see my Dr. I am going to hug his neck because I feel wonderful...not to say I have no pain but it is so low and I really don't notice it until around 1 - 2 in afternoon. Thinking about asking to take 200 2x day. Maybe I will have no pain. It has been life changing for me....I praise the Lord who would have thought one little pill could work so well. I thought he was nuts when I read what the pill was for. I feel great...I feel joyful. I used to have problems sleeping but not any more I sleep like a baby and an unexpected side effect...I have no more night sweats. Love it.
I am supposed to eventually be on 900mg a day, have started with 300mg at night, am going to stay here a little longer.  It has been a hard medicine to adjust to as I also take inderal at night.  But once I stop traveling the end of the month, am going to try adding the 2nd dose.  

It has helped with the pain of my leg spasms, I can now sleep without the pain awakening me.
Hi, I take 600mg of Gabapentin 4 times a day for neuropathic pain in MS. I've tried Pregablin and that didn't help at all. Gabapentin is great if you can tolerate it. Increasing your dosage slowly prevents side affects both my GP and MS nurse agree on that. At night I also take 30mg of Amitriptyline, my consultant told me that Amitriptyline gets you to sleep and Gabapentin keeps you asleep. I definitely sleep better than I used to.

Lynne
I also hold my teeth tightly.  I have been diagnosed with TMJ, so have been fitted with a mouth guard that really helps the stress from clenching.  I have also have weight gain I take 600/3 times daily.  I have not noticed any issues when upping my dosage, but who knows when that may happen.
you need to wean off of the soda's.  Carbinated beverages are not helping any of your problems.

try crystalized ginger (health food store or where you can buy by the pound, not those expensive tiny jars in the grocery, for indigestion, ginger is most natural for body and also peppermint candies.  I use ginger tea every day, I just grind the frozen root, boil with water, lemon and honey and drink cold or hot.  have not had indigestion in years

you need to lean on your doctors, it doesn't sound like they are listening to you......our reactions to gaga will be different than yours due to what we take it for.....

just a nurse's point of view
Try to eat a healthier diet I would say.  http://gabapentindosage.com/
Hi, I took Gabapentin 3 times, low dose, and now my eyes hurt a lot! I don't take it for 4 days already but the pain is still there. Do you know when it's going to be better? Do I need to see a doctor for this? I'm so sad :(( Can it be permanent now?? I want my eyes back! :((
Just started taking gabapentin. Today is my third day of taking it. I'm taking it for weak and tired legs. I cant stand this medication its making me feel dizzy and disoriented and upset stomach, I'm supposed to be taking it 3x daily I could barely get to the 2nd pill, my mgs are only 300mg, if someone else had this problem let me know if it gets any easier.
I just started as well.  It does at first act almost like a sleeping pill.  I have been taking it at nights but wanted to see if if it would provide me with relief dring the day as well.  I took the weekend to see if I could change the dosage.   I took 1 pill every 5 hours Saturday and Sunday took 2 pills in the morning and 2 at night.  Sunday was much easier than Saturday    It just takes time. My neuro said people try to use it as a sleep aid but then can't after a few times, because they become adjusted to it.  I am sure everyone is different, but ease into it it's majiv
Maureen
I suppose we all have individual reactions to these medications. I consider myself luck to have very few side effects from any med.

I'm currently taking 3600mg of gabapentin per day + 25mg amitriptilyne to address neuropathic foot pain. The gabapentin by itself did very little, but when the amitriptilyne was added things started to improve.

Kyle
I really wish there was a consensus on whether weight gain is common or not. Those who do gain, state that it is common/unavoidable (bias?). From a clinical trial report standpoint, there are so many reported likely side effects that come before weight gain yet it seems to be the most prevalent in online forums (even in positive reviews). It's supposed to be between 2%-10% (the upper limit only at high dosage).

I just started it a month ago and I'm fairly certain it has at the very least prevented me from losing the fat I had accumulated due to the anxiety disorder I had been suffering from for over a year. Gabapentin has helped so I'm really upset that it will cause weigh gain when I really need to lose (exercise is part of my lifestyle already, started dieting carefully since starting  yet still perceive myself as fatter or the same). I'm at 600mg/day (TID). I can't imagine what might happen if I get to 900-1800mg. Any way that this is overblown and that this is all in my head?
Actually the longer I've been on it, three, three times a day the less tired it makes me and it really helps my leg buzzing pain and able to sleep through the night.  The problem I've had with it though is that my ears are ringing so loudly.  I didn't realize until my apt today that for a rare few this is a really big issue and can lead to hearing damage sooo now my Neuro is trying to put me on Lyrica though my insurance doesn't want to cover it.  Lovely!  She has said that only three of her previous patients have had these results, so if you haven't noticed really significant hearing issues this is not a problem for you but if you do notice ringing or loudness then please mention it to your doctor.  Also, I have not gained any weight while on Gabapentin. I did experience mild dizziness when I'm increasing my dosage but really wasn't a big issue.  Being able to sleep through the night far outweighed the daytime dizziness.
Rolling Regret - Weight gain isn't determined by perception. It's measured by the scale. Try not to talk yourself into side effects. The side effects profile for any proposed med is the absolute last thing I read :-)

Justquilting - I wonder if the ringing in your ears is a red herring. I have tinnitus which predates my use of gabapentin. It's a reasonably common MS symptom. Is it possible that the onset of your ringing issue is just coincident to the start of gabapentin?

Kyle
I just found this on DR. Carolyn Dean web sight

Quote

"How does allopathic medicine treat nerve “disorders?” One of the most commonly used drugs for epilepsy and nerve pain is Neurontin (gabapentine). And guess what? Gabapentine depletes magnesium and causes magnesium deficiency. Whereas if you take magnesium for nerve symptoms you actually have a chance of eliminating the cause of the problem.

Drug researchers don’t know how gabapentine works but they say it affects the calcium channels in cells binding to calcium receptors and thus preventing erratic electrical signals between neurons. If you have been reading my blogs you already know that magnesium binds to these same receptors and opens and closes these calcium channels properly so you don’t get excess calcium and you don’t get erratic electrical signals. Taking gabapentine means you are depleting your magnesium and making your symptoms worse.

One of the side effects of gabapentine is worsening seizure activity. You gotta wonder about the wisdom of using a drug prescribed for seizures that can cause more seizures! But now we know why; it’s depleting magnesium, so your muscles and nerves go into spasms and seizures. Magnesium deficiency can cause numbness, tingling, seizures, muscle contractions, spasms and cramps and should be the first line of treatment for any of these symptoms."