Multiple Sclerosis Community
Is MS an appropriate consideration?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Is MS an appropriate consideration?

I'm a 30 y/o male, caucasian. I have been getting sudden weakness in my limbs when I'm in the heat. Sensitivity to exertion, fatigue, and inability to sleep past 4 hours. My blood pressure is also unusually low for me (Ranges 98 to 108) (Used to be 120 to 122.) I can no longer go for walks because last week, after 5 minutes, I almost got so weak & had heart palpitations I thought I was going to pass out. I get brief vertigo when I turn my head, exert myself, or if I'm in hot weather. I also get these intense ticklish feelings moving all over my body, as well as muscle twitches, hand weakness, periodically, everyday. I had a bad stomach flu a month ago, and prior to that, I had an allergic reaction to Sulphamethoxazole which is when I first felt the vertigo issue, and the earliest sign of heat sensitivity followed shortly after I stopped the drug. My thinking is foggy too, hard to focus at times (I'm usually great at focusing), and the other day my friend said I sounded drunk over the phone, but that went away the next day.

I've always enjoyed the heat and have never been sensitive to it. My Doctor said he thinks it's anxiety, but also wants a stress test done by a cardiologist. My Doctor says MS isn't even on his radar, he thinks it's all anxiety affecting the autonomic system, and he wants to see me next month. My lorazepam makes my anxiety feel better, but it hasn't affected the muscle weakness. I noticed the only thing that makes me  feel a bit better overall is omega-3 supp. My right eye has also been going more & more near sighted for the last 4 years. I also had adult chicken pox at 23, mono at 25, and my mom has had bells palsy. I partied when I was younger, and have had a lot of stress over the last 3 years. Is MS a possibility for me, was my doctor stalling so as not to worry me until more info comes? Or do you feel it really could be my anxiety affecting the autonomic system? Keep in mind, the weakness and tickle symptoms are strong, especially in the heat.

This discussion is related to Is this MS?.
I have MS. I have had numb sensations on my body, I am sensitive to heat, I have had vertigo.... They are all things consistant with MS. The problem that you run in to is these are also symptoms of many other things. The only way to tell if you have MS is if your doctor has the right tests run (i.e. MRI of the brain and neck and a Lumbar puncture, etc.)

I am sorry to hear that you are having all these symptoms. I know that they are no fun at all. Have you considered asking your doctor straight up to have you tested?

I wish you well,
Tom
Hi 123,

Welcome to the forum. Tomas give great advice while MSers experience this, there are countless other reasons to also consider as a cause.

You can trust your doc when he or she says MS is not even on the radar. Wishing you a speedy recovery so you can get back to what you love.

take care,
-shell
Thank you guys so much for giving me feed back on this. I'm not really mentally ready to go through those tests. I asked my doctor about autonomic neuropathy, ms, etc. he said he doesn't think my nerves are physically damaged, he thinks they are just regulating things in an inappropriate manner. However, I left out the tickle type feeling when telling him my symptoms because I forgot. It's hard for me to believe that I have no damage when I'm sensitive in the heat, but he is a very good doctor, not a specialist, but good.

I guess being the average age, ethnicity, and having the symptoms is what makes me question if he is waiting to hope for the best. I also don't want to get a false diagnosis. Sometimes I think if I saw a specialist, they are prone to look for ms to be the cause...like the old saying, to a hammer everything looks like a nail. So I guess I just have to wait. I don't even know how quickly ms should progress. It seems like such a difficult disease to identify, even when some folks have the tests, I read how sometimes doctors still are unsure.
Thanks again.
Hey man I do not have MS but for almost a yr I have been messed up with different things with my body like an off feeling and a shakiness when I squeeze things and some tingling and vision issues...

I also had surgery and woke up messed up and my anxiety took over and these symptoms got worst I didnt have them before surgery so I want to tell you this..

Anxiety has runned my life for a yr. Dr. Google has too!! Readin g your post you have documented many symptoms all in which I would guess you net surfed and your symptonms got worst because of fear?? I could be wrong but mine sure got worst after reading things..

Make sure your dr checks your B12 Vit D etc. B12 being low can cause the symptoms you listed as well as Low Vit D. I am sure Anxiety is feeding your brain and in return its the fear that sets things into motion.. I think your issues will get better keep in touch with your doc and make him aware of any new symptoms..

Please dont read what Dr. Google has to offer he has a free office visit lol... GoodLuck!!
Ha that's a good one! That cheered me up for the moment. I actually do have low Vitamin D levels. Until recently, I was probably low on magnesium. B12 was tested a couple years ago and good. Used to have really LOW cholesterol, that's been fixed. I do have anxiety that comes on when I notice my physical body isn't working right.
The interesting thing is, I used an antibiotic last spring for my eye, and an antibiotic at the start of summer for a skin infection. In Spring, my general anxiety slightly increased after using the antibiotic. This summer, it is off the charts after the sulpha drug. Maybe the antibiotics caused my sensitivity. Although I can't promise I won't netsurf symptoms, I have been trying to not dwell on my fears too heavily. Regardless of what's going on, I know being upset for too long doesn't help any condition. I will try to remember to keep up w/ the vitamin D3 and see what that does. Thanks alienshadow, hope your anxieties get better too.
Thanks man I have been in a mess since last November but my neuro and GP have both told me it isnt MS or anything else major.. So I have to believe anxiety can really mess your body up and your mind up.

I also believe once the damage is done it takes probably the same amount of time if not more to heal the body once treatment starts.Anxiety isnt a switch you can just turn off..( Dont steal my Logan) lol..

Get that B12 retested I would you never know. I never knew mine was low if I had I would of never had foot surgery because I feel bad all the time now!!

And thnaks buddy!!
Anxiety can really create havoc in all of our body systems.  A lingering viral infection can also create symptoms that mimic MS - and it can take a year or longer to stop.

I am glad to hear your have a cardio appt. to rule out anything heart related because that is important.

After all that is done and if it comes back clear, try to find some ways to divert your attention into some things that aren't health related and give this time to see if it resolves in time.

be well, Lulu