Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS & high blood pressure

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS & high blood pressure

A few weeks ago I went to the hospital for an LP the nurse took my blood pressure and asked did I have high blood pressure I said no ( I had had it taken a few months earlier and it was fine) and we put it down to apprehension of the LP.

A week later I was at my GP surgery having my yearly Asthma review, the nurse said that they had not taken my blood pressure recently so she took it and it was 132/90 she felt this was high so wanted to see me again which was last week. This time 142/100 and sent me home with a BP home moniter which readings have been all over the place. She said I needed to talk to my Neurologist about this whom I see on Tuesday.

Can anyone tell me if there is any connection between high BP and MS (possibly PPMS)?
I have PPMS and do not have high blood pressure. It is important it is addressed.

Alex
Hi Twist, as far as I know, the two are normally not related.  Your central nervous system does not regulate your blood pressure, which is a function of your cardiovascular system.

However, some of the problems associated with MS could show up in elevated BP - stress, worry, inactivity, and lack of sleep can all contribute to high blood pressure.

Be sure and get it checked, ok?

be well, Lulu
Hi Twist,
I have PPMS (primary progressive multiple sclerosis) and I have never had blood pressure issues.  Last week my BP was checked and it was 102/63.  I found that my BP is down from my normal 120/72 since my weight loss.  Good Luck and keep ontop of this.
Debbie
~live as if all your dreams came true~
I have high blood pressure and RRMS.  I also have hypothyroidism which can be associated with high cholesterol and high blood pressure.  

I don't know if MS and other conditions like hypothyroidism are connected, but the cause of my hypothyroidism is autoimmune, so there may be a connection.  I don't know if there's a link with PPMS, though.

Deb
Thanks all I spoke to my neuro today and he said there was no connection between my Symptoms and high blood pressure. He advise me to see my GP.
I've always been told my bp is normal, though i'd say when i see stars and do the head spin thingy, fatigue laying me out flat, it would have to be dropping too low. I've had this on and off for years though i've never had my bp taken in any other position but sitting or laying down, which seems daft.

I have circulation issues, but my veins recently started popping out thick and ropey which is a new weird, the bp drops are prolific when thats really bad. I'm also a 3rd generation female with hypoglycemia (dd is no 4), so i've got the chicken and egg thing and then theres the clutching at straws.

I agree with Lulu about bp being controlled by the cardiovascular system, but isn't it your brain that controls autonomic functions? Here's a quote from brain explorer :'The nuclei of the white matter are involved in the relay of sensory information from the rest of the body to the cerebral cortex, as well as in the regulation of autonomic (unconscious) functions such as body temperature, heart rate and blood pressure.' So with that in mind i would say bp functions can be affected by a disease that eats white matter for breakfast.

Cheers.........JJ
I've always had normal bp untill my neuro issues started 13 months ago, now I'm borderline high at 145/93.

I wonder if stress and weight gain are the cause.

Mike
Thanks all, saw my GP today about the high BP and he was not concerned he felt it was in the normal limits and with what else has been going on he could understand the slightly high readings. He enquired about the MS investigations (he's the first person that been that up front about it) and went through the test results I which I'd aready had and new. But it was nice to know he was interested.  
I always had fluctuating blood pressure until I developed RRMS. After that it bacame HBP. I take medication for it. I did everything in my power to lower my BP such as exercise, meditation and eating right to no prevail. This is just my opinion. I am not a Doctor. Something is causing me to have HBP when I am otherwise healthy except for the MS. With that being said I believe there is a correlation between HBP and MS.

Bopper
Twist:

I have midline cerebellar degeneration, which I was recently told has been caused by alcohol.

One of the things that I did mention to all doctors I saw is that my blood pressure is very erratic. I used to be a consistent 110/60 until about 6 years ago and now it is all over the map. I can be hypertensive, pre-hypertensive or within normal limits and every once in a while I might see my old normal reading again. Alcohol does effect the heart and therefore blood pressure and heart rate, which helps to explain why my BP has been out of whack.

I recently purchased a blood pressure monitor and record my BP and heart rate daily. There is a tracker available on this website to record your readings, which will make things easier for your doctor. It's recommended that you take three readings over a 5 (?) minute period and use the average.

Good luck!