Multiple Sclerosis Community
My sons MRI results???

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

My sons MRI results???

Can anyone explain any of this to me and what it means?  We have an appointment with a Pediatric Neurologist, but it is a way off and I am just a little concerned.

Technique:  Multi-planar, multi-sequence MR imaging of the brain was performed pre-and post uneventful intravenous contrast administration.

Comparison:  None

Findings:  Today's study shows no areas of abnormal restricted diffusion or findings of recent hemorrhage or abnormal enhancement.  2.5 mm focus of T2 prolongation within the high right premotor frontal lobe. The ventricles and the midline structures are normal in appearance. There is no extra-axial abnormality identified. Intracranial flow voids are present and normal in appearance. No posterior fossa abnormality identified. There is no orbital abnormality identified. The paranasal sinuses and mastoid air cells are clear.

Impression:  Nonspecific 2.5 mm focus of cortical T2 hyperintensity within the high right frontal lobe. No findings of hemorrhage or abnormal enhancement. No indication of infarction or other acute intracranial process. The remainder of the examination is of normal appearance.

Hi and welcome to our little corner of the web, please keep in mind that there isn't a dr on the MS community forum, comments are lay peoples opinions only. MRI's are particularly tricky to interpret and with it being around the weekend, there may not be many people able to answer the question for you.

For what its worth, from my understanding of his MRI report, the MRI "didn't" find any significant abnormalities or disease etc but what they did find is one small lesion (which doesn't mean tumor) of 2.5mm in his right frontal lobe. Because this doesn't have any specific identifying marker to indicate what its been caused by, its been classified as "non-specific".

On its own this may not hold any significant meaning, or it may be helpful to the understanding of why your son got the MRI in the first place. For example lets say he went for the MRI because of a change in his cognitive, physical or emotional behavior after a blow to the head whilst playing a contact sport. So the MRI findings may go towards explaining the changes.

Please remember i dont read MRI's for a living, so this is only coming from my lay persons understanding and speaking to the dr is advisable under the circumstances.

Cheers.......JJ