Multiple Sclerosis Community
lumps under skin

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

lumps under skin

Ok so I realize this may not be related but im gonna throw it out there anyway. I have a lot of lumps that hurt real bad under my skin on my lower legs. By sight its looks like red splotches and when you run your fingers over them you can feel the lump. And it hurts. However everytme this happens I usually go into flare up mode after. Which *****, cuz I hope this isnt where its headed.
Hi Prettymomma--I can relate to the tender, under-the-skin lumps with red splotches on the lower legs. You describe it very well!

I've had several of these and at first thought they were old bruises, though I never remembered having bruises there, and they last forever. They just don't go away, though the tenderness fluctuates. These mostly seem to be on the calf.

This surely isn't an MS thing (and I am not diagnosed with MS, or anything else for that matter), but it's puzzling. Have you ever asked your doctor about it? I haven't, since in my case they aren't really bothersome and I don't want to appear to be a hypochondriac.

Hope you don't have a flare! Let us know if you ever get any info about those lumps.

Nancy
Hi Prettymomma,

I am having real bad lumps red itchy and sore cannot find out what they are mine are on my upper arms they are driving me crazy waking me at night.
please let me know if you find out what is causing them.

Hope you are comfortable today tarter

I was just reading on the National MS society page about diseases that cause MS like symptoms and came across:

Polyarteritis nodosa

I guess it causes lumps like you describe... I thought I would throw it out there because I just happened to read about it today.

skye
Thanks Skye, interesting!
I have this, but like Tarter, I have them all over my neck, back, shoulders, upper arms, upper thighs, and even a few spots on my tummy.  They are painful and at first will just appear to be little lumps under the skin, but after a couple of days will actually become a tiny, red, raised rash, on the skin, very itchy and also very painful.  I saw my neurologist yesterday and he predictably said that this must have something to do with my meds because there is no such thing as an MS rash.  JUST BECAUSE he said that, I'm going to change neuros as soon as I possibly can because there are too many of us that experience this rash for it not to be related to MS, and also because I have taken the same meds for three years now and have never broken out in a rash until the past three months, so P-L-E-A-S-E!!!!  I think this is qualifies as a 'SOMETHING NEW' category in my own particular MS symptoms and he should not have blown it off as something dermatological or medication-provoked.  There are some neuros out there who are beginning to believe that a rash is one of the MS symptoms, so it would seem that the rest of the MS neuro community should get up-to-speed.  Just my two cents....
my daughter is two and she has Myosistis and she gets the rash like ur talking about and then cant walk very well for awhile and is in pain due to her age i cant give her pain meds much

the rash start out as small bumps red then get hard and lumpy under the skin ahs is evry itchy with this she gets them on her tummy feet ankles and butt lasts about 2 1/2 weeks then gose away and comes back

dont know if its the same as what u all are haveing but i do have MS and she has  MD myosistis and higher functioning Autisum  we are still out on the Ms thing till we go back to Bufflo NY. when she turns 2 1/2 to see the dr

. you all might ask ur DR. to look into the Myosistis think cause from what i have lurned its a autoimun dieseas . hope this shout out helps on the quest to answers .
Polyarteritis nodosa

this is on the list of things I got tested for last week.