Neurology Expert Forum
Antibiotics and blurry vision

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Antibiotics and blurry vision

I have been taking PCE or Erythromyacin for a long time for acne and as a GI motility agent. Recently I have been getting blurry vision during the evening. When I look in the mirror at my eyes the pupils go from being dialated to constricted back and forth - not to any rhthm, sometimes remaining fully dialated for several seconds despite a bright light in my eyes. In the morning under the same lighting conditions the pupil is always constricted - it never dialates.
  Just got switched to Cipro due to possible UTI and/or prostate infection, and a culture of a skins lesion showing Serratia marcescens ( weird place for it to show up huh? ). Although I lose the GI motility effect of PCE, the doctor said I could start taking PCE again with the Cipro if the abdominal distention and nausea return. I am taking 10 days worth of Cipro anyhow and I am off the PCE until I finish.
  So could either of these antibiotics cause the weird pupil/blurry vision problem?
  I am a 27 year old male. I also seem to have a virus/infection in the upper respitory tract on the right side ( right ear, right nose, right side of throat, right lymph node swollen ) - mabye that could cause vision problem?
  I heard Cipro causes nerve damage...
  Oh yeah happy thanksgiving to everyone!
_
Neither Cipro nor Erythromycin are common causes of visual changes and blurry vision, so I don't think their the culprit.  As for the pupillary changes, even though it seems like the same light is present, there may be a difference in the way you are angled towards the light, and this may be the reason that your pupils seem different.  Furthermore, other factors contribute to pupillary size such as anxiety or excitement.  The important thing is they remain the same size in relationship to each other.  The fluctuation in size you describe when looking in the mirror could be a normal phenomenon called "Hippus" where the pupils as you look at them under light go small then larger then smaller - fluctuating like that.   But even though the pupillary effects may be normal, you would want to see an ophthalmologist for your concern over the blurry vision at night.  Hope this was of help.