Neurology Expert Forum
Atenolol for headaches?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Atenolol for headaches?

I have been getting headaches for the last three years.
  Usually they start in the morning as a dull and far away pain.  A premonition.  As my day continues the headache gets worse and i become very sensitive to light and noise.  I've taken all different kinds of pain killers and the only thing that helps, sometimes, is Excedrin which has a lot of caffeine which I'm very sensitive to and since usually the pain is greatest at night I can't take this because it keeps me up all night.  I don't want to take anymore pain killers because my stomach is also very sensitive.  The pain usually starts around the eyes and spreads troughout the entire head.  It is sometimes throbbing at it's worse but usually it is a dull pain that prevents me from performing normal, daily tasks.  Recently I went to the doctor and she gave me a prescription for Atenolol and Fiorcette (Florecette? can't read the handwriting) for the pain.  I read that Atenolol can be bad for the skin (I have slight scoriassis) rashes, etc... Can someone give information on what my headaches might be caused by and if this medication is necessary?  I am a 26 year old woman in otherwise perfect health.
Dear Emily,
From your description, it sounds as if you may have a mixed-type headache. Mixed headaches have components of migraine (sensitivity to light, sound, throbbing, interuption of daily activities) and tension type (daily, chronic).  Atenolol is actually an blood pressure medication used frequently to help prevent headaches. It does not really lower pressures in patient with normal pressures but it may slow heart rate.  Fioricet is a mediction (medication) used to abort/stop a headache alreadyin progress. Options include trying the atenalol (it may help with the headaches and you may not have any side effects). There are several other medications used to prevent headaches inlcuding calcium channel blockers and tricyclic. Discuss these other options with your doctor. If you are interested in getting an evaluation at CCF, call 1-800-CCF-CARE. Good Luck.