Neurology Expert Forum
Blood Clot and Nerve Damage

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Blood Clot and Nerve Damage

My mother was taken in to hospital on Tursday because she could not feel anything below her waist.

On arrival, they took an MRI and determined it was not a slipped disk or anything spinal, but did notice it was nerve related.

Today they took another MRI to try and find out why. The consultant believes it is a blood clot at the Y intersection in an artery which feeds the nerves in her legs. They don't seem to know why it happened and have given her aspirin to try and prevent any more clots. It was described as a stroke in the back rather than the brain.

The questions I have are:
1) Can anything be given to break done to break down the clot and restore the blood flow?

2) Given the amount of time, what is the possibility of permanent nerve damage such that she won't be able to walk again?

The doctors seem to want to wait and see what happens and to see whether things improve on their own; does this sound the right thing to do?

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It depends. I am not sure of the timing of the events with your mother or how the clot was discovered. Some hospitals have specialists in neuroradiology who can interventionally (similar to a heart cath) go into the arterial supply of the spine and perhaps provide treatment whether it is localized clot buster, thrombectomy, etc. Some hospitals may opt to have neurosurgery/vascular surgery evaluate. Others may medically treat with blood thinners/clot busters.

Recovery is always difficult to prognosticate in the acute setting. It does take time to heal. With strokes, functional improvement takes several months (for the nadir) to years.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.