Neurology Expert Forum
Brain Scarring

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Brain Scarring

I have searched the internet and cannot find very good information regading brain scarring. I had an MRI for an eye problem and the results showed that I have brain scars. The scars are unrelated to my eye problem.
I'm simply wondering if I should be worried about the scars or the cause? Should I visit a Neurologist or are brain scars normal?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I am unsure what exactly the MRI was reading as "brain scarring." It could just mean nonspecific white matter changes (sometimes seen in Migraines), prior strokes, or "chronic small vessel disease", literally meaning diseased small vessels that supply blood flow to the brain. This is not an uncommon process in the brain and increases with age. This is not a disease in and of itself but rather is a reflection of unhealthy blood vessels, damaged by years of plaque build-up. This is most often due to a combination of several factors including the following: high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, and high cholesterol. If these factors are well controlled, the damage to the brain can be stabilized and further damage prevented.

Other causes of white matter changes on MRI can usually be distinguished based on history and symptoms, such as symptoms of neurologic deficit (for example arm weakness or difficulty walking etc). These can also be distinguished based on the MRI appearance. These include, but are not limited to, multiple sclerosis, other demyelinating disease, and inflammatory processes such as vasculitis, however if you are not having symptoms, then you probably do not have to see a neurologist.  

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.