Neurology Expert Forum
Brain atrophy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Brain atrophy

First, I will give a little history.  I am 23 years old.  I began getting severe headaches, so a brain MRI was ordered.  The radiologist and 2 neurosurgeons said that I had mild Arnold Chiari malformation.  My symptoms progressed, so I was sent to another neurosurgeon.  He said that while I do have mild Chiari, he does not think my symptoms are caused by that.  He said that I have prominent atrophy of the cerebral cortex.  He said that my brain looks like someone in their later stages of life.

Symptoms that progressed are headaches (occipital, frontal, temporal, retrobulbar), dizziness, numbness in my left arm (especially digits 4 &5), memory problems, extreme fatigue, and eye disturbances (blurry vision, peripheral vision problems).

What types of conditions can cause atrophy of the brain at an early age?  I tested negative for Lymes Disease, MS, heavy metal poisoning.  If the Chiari is the problem, and the CSF flow has been restricted, could that cause atrophy?
Related Discussions
Dear Laura:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.  I would agree that a mild Chiari I malformation is usually not the etiology of headache.  Concerning the brain atrophy, there can be many, many reasons for the atrophy.  The first can be a poor diagnosis.  So, I would think about getting a second opinion.  Then alot would depend on when the problem occurred.  If the problem occurred during the prenatal period, then you have had this problem your whole life and likely it is not progressing.  If the problem developed latter, then the question is whether the atrophy is progressing or is stagnant.  This would need to be investigated as there are alot of diseases that can cause atrophy.  The direction of the investigation will depend alot on medical history (yours), especially developmental milestones, language usage, school performance, etc. and the MRI itself.  A few labs will also help.  I would see a good neurologist and begin the process of trying to figure out what caused this and whether it is progressive or not.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, brain atrophy? was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Brain Atropy was started.
Blank
Blank
A related discussion, brain atrophy was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank