Neurology Expert Forum
Burning Ben gay feeling with back pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Burning Ben gay feeling with back pain

Hi.  About 5 weeks ago, I started having a numbing tingling feeling from my left hip down to my foot, some pain here and there.  That went away.  Now, I have a really bad pain in my lower left side of my back and have started having a burning ben gay/ icy hot feeling that seems to spread to most of the left side of my body.  Along with this feeling, I get very dizzy and weak, complete lack of energy, cold sweats, nausea and diarrhea at times.  This has lasted for about 1 1/2 weeks so far with the "burning" just starting about 4 days ago, spreading to more areas daily.  I live in a very small town where there are no specialists.  What kind of doctor do I see and what could this possibly be?  Thank you in advance.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

It sounds like you recently had a brief episode of numbness and tingling down your left hip and foot that resolved, and you are now suffering from lower left back pain and a burning icy/hot sensation on the left side of your body associated with several other symptoms.

Ther are several possible causes to your symptoms and without the ability to take a full history and examine you, I can not assess what the cause of your symptoms is, and I cannot give you a diagnosis. However, I will try to provide you with information regarding some possible causes.

In general, burning pain and/or icy/hot pain can be what is termed "neuropathic pain" or pain due to irritation of nerves for one reason or another. Low back pain that is burning, particularly when it radiates down the leg, could be caused by arthritis of the spine or a herniated disc that presses on the nerves exiting from the spinal cord. If you are experiencing symptoms in your lower back and leg, it is more likely that the problem is in the lower spine area (called the lumbar area) but if symptoms involve your arm too, the problem could potentially be higher up, in the upper spine (cervical spine) or even the brain.

Your symptoms and signs would be best evaluated by a neurologist. Neuropathic pain can often be treated, often by treating the cause (such as a herniated disc etc) and/or with medication.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find this information useful.

1 Comment
A related discussion, Icy/Hot Feeling in Head was started.