Neurology Expert Forum
CAN'T MOVE LEGS

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

CAN'T MOVE LEGS

Hi, Doctor,
         It's me again!    I went to see my neurologist last week because I was where I could not walk sometimes.  What would happen is that when I would want to move my legs, they would not move.  If I stood up to walk, or stepped up on a stair, my legs would not move anymore.  I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy - hands, feet, legs, face, & ataxia a year ago.  The neurologist  tested my legs for strentgh (told me to lift them up, etc.).  I was able to do that after a few seconds past.  He said that I had there was some weakness but not enough to stop me from walking  and virtually told me that it was "all in my head" - he asked if I was depressed.  My question is - is there anything else that could be causing my legs not to move when I want them to?  When I forced them to move by dragging them, they feel like lead, and I am very tired afterwards.  Do you have any idea what is happening here, if anything?
  Again, thank you for this great service.  
Dear Rolee,
Difficulty initiating gait (start hesitation) and freezing are features of Parkinson's disease and frontal lobe disease and occasionaly seen in relative isolation in the syndrome of gait initiation failure.  Start hesitation ranges in severity from a few shuffling steps to small shallow steps on the spot without forward progress, to complete immobility with the feet seemingly glued to the floor.  In most cases, there are additional clues that may lead to one diagnosis.  Discuss these options with your docor.  If ever you are interested in getting an evaluation at CCF call 1-800-CCF_CARE.  Good Luck.

A related discussion, legs cannot move was started.
A related discussion, leg weakness was started.