Neurology Expert Forum
CSF Leak

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

CSF Leak

Posted By Tim Daley on July 02, 1997 at 21:37:43:

Five days after a lamenectomy on L-5 S-1 I developed a CSF leak. After the staples were taken out the fluid flowed freely out of the wound. I was placed in the hospital for 12 days where a blood patch was performed but was unsuccessful. A drain was then placed in my back and an MRI was done to try and pinpoint the leak. The leak was not found. Another surgery was performed to try and locate the leak and remove the drain. The source of the leak was again not found. by this time the headaches had subsided and the leak had stopped. Now about 8 months later I have developed the same symptoms as when the leak had first appeared. Headaches, nausea,  neck pain and diarrhea. These were the symptoms I had Prior to the staples being taken out after the first surgery. This has lasted about two weeks but has since subsided. This is now the third time it has happened  after the second surgery . Subsequent MRI's have been negative. Also when I get a leak there is a lot of swelling in the lower back which is very tender. I also have constant pain in my back. Does anyone have any ideas as to where the leak might be coming from or a way to possibly find the leak?