Neurology Expert Forum
Collasped ureter

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Collasped ureter

If a cat scan shows that both ureters are completely collapsed but there are no stones seen and no obstructive uropathy shown, is there a problem?   I have a lot of pain under my rib cage that is radiating through to my back and in general feel very poor.  Also have trouble getting a deep breath on occasion.    The ER first said they saw a small infection in the cat scan & gave me an antibiotic which did help some.   A second cat scan was taken a few days ago and I'm scheduled with a neurologist on Monday.  Even though the can cat indicates that both ureters are completely collapsed, the impression makes no metion of it.   Is this an emergency or nothing to worry about?
Tags: ureters
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I am not able to answer your question appropriately. I think you would be better served submitting the question in the urology forum. The pain you are mentioning may be due to an rib dysfunction that could be diagnosed and treated by an osteopathic physician. However, if you have not had an evaluation of your urine (i.e., urinalysis), you should have one performed to evaluate for infection and perhaps a kidney ultrasound. I would be concerned for a pyelonephritis given your symptoms. Please follow up with an urologist.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.