Neurology Expert Forum
Constant Headaches on Right Side of Head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have had constant headaches on the right side of my head for about almost 2 weeks now. I have never had a headache like this. I usually get headaches or migranes (migraines) but as soon as I take painkillers or sleep it goes away.

In the beginning the headache was very bad and no piankiller was working. The headache has gotton better but its still here and the pain too. I also have my wisdom teeth growing so I dont know if that is the reason, but the headache feels as iff my head if presured and its on the right side at the end of my forehead. I can also feel my vain thumping real hard. I feel its swollen but none of my family thinks it is.

Im only 20, my health is perfectly normal. I do have weak vision so wear glasses and I have migranes (migraines) here and there. Also I am a social drinker and I smoke. I havent gone to the doctor yet, just never had the time to and plus I am scared it might be something else. !!!????
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are several causes of headaches. Headaches can be divided into primary and secondary. Primary headache disorders are headaches without a direct cause. These are diagnosed after secondary causes have been excluded. Secondary headache disorders are due to an underlying problem, there are many many causes but some include medication side effects, systemic illness, nervous system infection, tumors, bleeds in the brain or clots in the veins of the brain, and others. A good physical examination and a CT scan or even better an MRI of the brain is needed to exclude secondary causes, particularly in someone who has new types of headaches or worsening headaches.

Primary headache disorders are much more common than secondary ones. Migraines are the most common. These are located on one side of the head and are often throbbing and associated with light-sensitivty and sometimes nausea. There are several other primary one-sided headaches. In a young otherwise healthy person, the headache is more often than not going to be primary, such as a migraine, and usually easily treatable, but again, secondary causes need to be excluded. Evaluation by a general physician/internist is recommended, with some sort of brain imaging indicated (CT brain or MRI brain) to excluded secondary causes. This is important in order to better understand the cause of your symptoms and what treatment would be effective. Depending on the nature of your headache, referral to a neurologist may be warrnated.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

1 Comment
Ok I'm 19 female and every morning I wake up with a headache on my right side that won't go away and I bend down it shoots pain and bend my head over it shoots pain and this will not go away!! It's been there for 3 days!!
A related discussion, Headache on the right side and feel a soft skull was started.