Neurology Expert Forum
Constant Pain/Pressure in back of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Constant Pain/Pressure in back of head

: : Hi.  For the past year or so, I have had this annoying persistant pain in the lower-right side of my head (near the base of my skull).  The pain can be best described as someone pressing their hand up against my head, but the pain is only about the size of a quarter.  Sometimes when I touch the area of my head where the pain is, I can feel the pain move to the top part of my head.  It is a really strange feeling.  I have also noticed that I get these bright "spots" in my eyes for no reason (like if you were to look at the sun), but sometimes I can be in a  totally dark room.  I see them mainly in my right eye, where the pain in my head is.  Could this possibly be a brain tumor?  The pain hasnt been really severe, just annoying.  Can it be a cyst or a swollen gland (but I highly doubt someone can have a swollen gland for over a year).  Just the other day I had the doctor feel that area, and she said she didn't feel anything, so Im baffled.  I am a 16 year old boy in pretty good health, with no family history of any tumors of the brain, however I have been a heavy computer user since the age of 4, so I was wondering if using the computer that much could have anything to do with developing a tumor.  
  : : I would greately appreciate any insight you may have reguarding this topic.  Like I said, it has been worrying me, and I was wondering if you would think an MRI would be a good idea to get.  Thank you so much for your time in answering this question.
  : : Todd
  : I posted a message a while ago (the one above) and it still hasn't gotten a reply.  Any info. on this problem would be greately appreciated.  Thank you.
  Todd,  I too have had this same problem, I tried every option available, short of a MRI. Chiropractors did not work, Pain medicine did not work, anti depressants did not work, however I have been going to physical therapy and they have done wonders. It seems as if the problem was strain. I have worked on my posture and this has helped a great deal. You say that you spend a lot of time on the computer?  Try to pay a little attention to the way your sitting.  If your lower back is unsupported then you have pressure on your neck muscles.  
  Good luck, You may want to seek advice about neck and shoulder exercises that you can do at home.
Thank You for your reply,
Yes, position and neck strain, which frequently leads to neck muscle/strain can cause neck and head pain, especially in the back of the head.  This frequently does occur in computer users. The pain is often described as a pressure or band sensation. This may produce a tension type headaches as well. However, in Todds case, I am a bit concerened regarding the visual symptoms.  These are not typically produced in a simple tension circumstance.  They may represent a varient of migraine, ?eye strain, or some other abnormailty. In any case, further investigation is warrented.
Good Luck.

A related discussion, pain in back of head and neck was started.
A related discussion, pressure pain in back of head was started.
A related discussion, Constant pain in the left back of the head was started.