Neurology Expert Forum
Deep Venous Thrombosis - Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Posted By Robert on January 16, 1999 at 15:18:05:

I am 28 year old male with a history of thrombosis in the right subclavean vein. The thrombosis has been attributed to thoracic outlet syndrome. The first case of thrombosis was found when I was 18 years old. Symptons included pain, swelling, discoloration tingling in the fingers etc.. At the time I was put on a Heparin drip which eventually led to coumadin (warfarin) daily for a number of years. After stoppping the coumadin (2 years later) everything seemed fine until aproximately 6 months later when there was a reoccurence of the clotting. I have had similar problems every time I go off the coumadin. In my last episode clotting did not occur until I was off the Coumadin for almost 4 years. I was participating in more sports and trying to get back into shape.
The clotting has reoccurred 4 or 5 times over the last 10 years and my Vascular Surgeon has reluctantly suggested that the only thing left to try is a Thoracic Outlet Decompression Surgery. I am obviously reluctant to go under the knife but I do wish to eventually lead a normal life again. I really don't want to be on coumadin for the rest of my life.
No cervical rib was ever found. It is assumed that a sports injury about the time of the first thrombosis has shifted the position of the first rib.  If there is any other information required please ask. I have been dealing with this for almost 10 years so there is always something I may forget to mention.