Neurology Expert Forum
EMERGENCY-Brain Injury Due to lack of oxygen

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My girlfriends mother has supposedly had (brain injury) due to loss of oxygen..
She had been shifted to the ICU about a week ago.. but she is on ventilator and the doctors have given up hope saying that she is not responding to any stimuli hence we have no hope ... they have closed the case as per records and suggested my girlfriends dad to go and consult other doctors if he wants.. but not to keep much hope!!

Is anything at all possible.. money is no constraint to the family members.They are willing to fly her to any country..do anything to save her??

IS there any physician who had handled Such CASES.. and been successful??????? IS THERE ANY HOPE AT ALL???
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I am terribly sorry to hear about your girlfriend’s mother. Why did she have an anoxic injury (i.e., lack of oxygen)? Typically patients who have these types of injuries are evaluated by neurologist to clinically determine the extent of the injury. There are features on the neurological examination that suggest poorer prognosis. Additionally, other testing (such as evoked potentials, EEG, intracranial ultrasound) can be performed if indicated.

Prognosis can be difficult. Some people do have some functional recovery after severe anoxic injuries but ultimately it depends on the etiology and clinical assessment.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.