Neurology Expert Forum
Forearm numbness and weakness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Forearm numbness and weakness

I was previously employed as a computer aided designer and began to experience pain and aching in my forearm from the repeated mouse/keyboard use.  Now I am a full-time employee at a drug store as gift manager and unpack boxes and do a lot of lifting.  Two totally different jobs, but my forearms are still weak and painful.  It's not up in my shoulders, but just my elbows to my wrists.  When I lay down my forearms (both left and right) become numb and ache.  I am just wondering if this is typical of a forty-three year old or is there something that I should do for this?  I am very active and have 3 teenagers.  I run three miles, 2-3 times per week and wonder if I should be doing more for my arms.  Any insight would be appreciated.
Hard to say what this could be without personally examining you or reviewing your history more in detail.  There are a number of patients who have atypical carpal tunnel syndromes with pain mostly in the arms but typically they also have pain in the hands/fingers.  Tendonitis and arthritis are also possibilities.  A controversial syndrome called pronator teres syndrome (muscle in the forearm) can trap portions of the median nerve if the muscle has increased in size and pushes on the the nerve causing weakness and numbness.  One thing you can try before seeking medical attention is getting wrist splints from a drug store.  Typically we recommend these for carpal tunnel patients, but they may help in stabilizing your forearms/wrist. They're pretty cheap and effective in a number of patients. Wear them at night and try some NSAIDs like Motrin/Advil. If things persist or get worse, get it checked out by a doctor.  If there is weakness and more persistent numbness, you may need to see a neurologist and possibly have an EMG to check the integrity of your muscles and nerves.  GOod luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, pronator releae was started.