Neurology Expert Forum
Frontal headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Frontal headaches

headache
by penny155, Jul 22, 2009 09:50PM
Tags: headaches
I have been having frontal headaches off and on for about 2 years. They generally occur just above the bridge of my nose between my eye brows. It is a dull conitnuous pain. Once it starts , it takes days to get rid of it. My nose usually feels congested but my sinus ct scans have been clear. I have tried multiple pain meds-it eases a little for about an hour and then comes back full force. I have been told I have a deviated septum. Could this be the cause? Any suggestions of pain relief? decongestants don't work.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are several causes of headaches. Headaches can be divided into primary and secondary. Primary headache disorders are headaches without a direct cause. These are diagnosed after secondary causes have been excluded. Secondary headache disorders are due to an underlying problem, there are many many causes but some include medication side effects, systemic illness, nervous system infection, tumors, bleeds in the brain or clots in the veins of the brain, and others. Headaches are often attributed to the sinuses, but more often than not, the sinuses are not the cause of the headaches. A deviated septum would be very unlikely to be causing recurrent headaches as well.

Rather, the  more likely cause is a primary headache disorder such as migraine. Migraines is usually a pulsating throbbing pain that is frequently one-sided but could be in the location you describe, and is often associated with nausea and discomfort in bright lights that lasts several hours. There are other headache types, such as tension headache.

Imaging of the brain to exclude a secondary cause for your headaches is recommended. If you have already had imaging (CT of the brain or MRI) and no abnormality was found, and if other secondary causes of your headaches are excluded, then a diagnosis of primary headaches can be made. Diagnosis of the type of headache is important, because there are certain medications that are very effective for migraines or other types. Evaluation by a neurologist for further workup for your headaches and for management options is recommended.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.