Neurology Expert Forum
HAND 'JITTER' WHEN BEGINNING FINE MOTOR TASK

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

FREQUENTLY, WHEN I AM BEGINNING A TASK INVOLVING FINE MOTOR SKILLS LIKE SOLDERING OR MODEL BUILDING MY HAND "JITTERS" JUST AS I'M PLACING INSTRUMENTS TO WORK.  IT USUALLY STOPS WHEN THE TASK IS BEING DONE, AND IF I DISTRACT MYSELF WITH OTHER MOVEMENT OR SPEECH IT DOES NOT OCCUR.  THIS OCCURRED LAST YEAR FOR A SHORT WHILE, THEN STOPPED.  IT HAS BEGUN AGAIN.  WHAT IS IT?
First keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you, because I cannot examine you and that this forum is for educational purposes only. The symptoms you describe fit into the general category of tremor.  Further, a tremor that is worse just before your hand reaches its tartet is called an intention tremor, and a tremor that is worse with a task is called an action tremor.  The are a number of causes of Action/intension tremors. One common cause is  benign essential tremor.  This condition runs in families, but also occurs sporadically.  affected patients have a fine tremor that is increased by stress or embrassement.  A portion of the patients also has tremor that affects their head, causing constant fine head motion.  Other causes physiologic tremor also affect by stress and lack of sleep and vigorous exercise.  Less commonly serious diseases can present with Action/intention tremor, these diseases affect the cerebellum and the brain stem centers that control muscle coordination.  Such diseases include Wilsons disease, genetic diseases of the cerebellum, and cerebellar degeneration due to drugs (such as anti-seizure medications and Alcohol) or toxins.  There are also tremors that occur at rest and may be a sign of parkinsons disease.  With the symoptoms you describe I suspect you may have some physiologic tremor that would improve with rest and avoiding drugs that make tremor worse, such as caffiene.  However, I would recommend that you see a neurologist who specializes in Movement disorders to rule any serious cause of the tremor and to provide you with medication if needed (beta-blockers, valium, primidone, requip, sinemet are a few of the medications used to treat tremors).  I hope this has been helpfull.