Neurology Expert Forum
Heavy sensation in hands
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Heavy sensation in hands

For the past 18 months I've been troubled by a disorder that I've named "dystaxia" for want of discovering anything on the matter. Ive spoken to quite a few GPS and Neuros but since none of them have heard of anything like my symptoms I've not gone beyond bloodwork, which runs normal. I don't want to become a project or get every Iatrogenic illness in the book.

Objects when grasped for any amount of time, between 10-30 seconds come to seem unaturally heavy, bulky and "nasty". This is mostly on the surface of both palms and is related to surface area. A thick newspaper face down on palms will feel like it weights a tonne in about 15 seconds; a baseball grasped tight will elicit no un-natural response. I can avoid symptoms almost 100% in being careful about the way I hold things, minimising surface contact.

Every few months I will get a "grand mal" attack, where this feeling of heaviness is global; my clothing will feel thick and heavy. If I'm wearing a jacket I will take it off. If I'm under a blanket I get out from under. These pass in 5-30 minutes.

Since the first attack the symptoms are stable and "grand mal" less frequent.

I'd rule out poor nutrition, poor general health and the want of exercise. I'm pretty fit.

History of heavy alcohol abuse suspected, but I've not had a drink in more than a year and don't show any other alcohol-related deficits.

Any ideas?