Neurology Expert Forum
Help figuring this all out

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Help figuring this all out

Ok.....for the past three years I have been bounced around, tested, poked, etc with no diagnosis.

I developed neuropathy that started in my big toes and has travled up to my waist.  I have boughts of severe muscle fatigue, bone and joint aches, vertigoBenign positional vertigo
Dizziness
Vertigo
Vertigo-associated disorders, balance issues, and poor memoryMemory loss
Mental status tests.  I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea in the midst of all this testing, and use my bipaap everynight.  The sleep apnea helped witht he fatigue, but I still have boughts of it with all of the above symptoms.  I have gone back and my bipaap is working fine, so the rest of the problems seem to be seperate of the sleep apnea.  

Here is what has come to light in my tests:

I have elevated proteins in my CSF, but not the proteins that would signify MS (this is what I was told)
I have HypoThyroid
I have sever vitamin D deficiency
I have vitamin B deficiency

Any direction on what can be causing these...are they linked?  History of MS and KIdney Disease in my family
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

If you have received a diagnosis of neuropathy based on clinical examination and EMG/NCS, the important thing would be to make sure that an identifiable cause to the neuropathy has been investigated. There are perhaps hundreds of causes of neuropathy, and I can list them all, however, I will try to discuss a few. Some types of sensory neuropathies occur and progress very slowly, others sort of wax and wane (with flare-ups) and some are progressive. One of the most common causes of neuropathy is diabetes, and sometimes only glucose intolerances, or abnormal rises in blood sugar after a glucose load can be the only indication (this is called a oral glucose tolerance test. Other causes include but are not limited to hereditary/genetic causes (such as in a disease called Charcot-Marie-Tooth, in which there is a family history of sensory neuropathy usually from an early age associated with other clinical features such as high-arched feet), autoimmune problems (such as lupus (SLE), Sjogren's, Churg-Strauss (in which asthma also occurs), polyarteritis nodosa, which affects blood vessels), and demyelinating diseases (such as CIDP). Vitamin B12 and B6 deficiency, as well as excess vitamin B6, can also cause neuropathy. Some toxins, such as lead, arsenic, and thalium can cause large fiber sensory neuropathy. Other causes include abnormalities of protein metabolism, as in a type called amyloidosis or monoclonal proteinemia. In many neuropathies, both the sensory and motor nerves (the nerves that supply the muscles) are involved, leading to sensory symptoms as well as weakness.

It is important to remember that up to 30% of people with neuropathy do not have an identifiable cause.

Neuropathy can cause imbalance because to put it simply, your brain can't really sense where your feet or body is in space.

Regarding your muscle cramping, this could potentially be related to your neuropathy, either directly or by whatever is causing your neuropathy. Fatigue, as you mentioned, is often caused by sleep apnea; your sleep apnea may be related to your neuropathy if your neuropathy is affecting the diaphragm, the muscle that allows you to breathe. However, sleep apnea is so common that it could be entirely unrelated.

Regarding vertigo, if you have been diagnosed with benign positional vertigo, then this is unlikely to be related to your neuropathy.

If you have not been evaluated by a neuromuscular specialist (a neurologist specialized in neuromuscular disorders such as neuropathy), this may be of benefit to you.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.