Neurology Expert Forum
Leaking Spinal Fluid
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Leaking Spinal Fluid

My sister-in-law had a fusion of L1 and L2 a couple of months ago and is now leaking spinal fluid.  She says she has lost 190 cc's of spinal fluid and is deeply concerned.  She sees an orthopedic doctor, and he told her to lie flat, not to move, and he will go back in a "patch it up" in a few weeks.  She is very concerned and nervous and wants to know how many cc's of spinal fluid can she afford to lose.  Would you consider this surgery an emergency?  I told her I would ask to be switched to a neurosurgeon, and to call and see if she can get it repaired immediately.  Any thoughts or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

On an unrelated matter, I personally have a syrinx on my spinal cord from C4-6.  Can you tell me if these symptoms could be related?  When I have flare ups, I get shortness of breath, night sweats, leg weakness, occasional leg pain (left side only) severe neck and occipital pain and headaches.  Sometimes I have difficulty urinating -- it's like my bladder is asleep and it takes a while for it to work.  This happens sometimes due to too much activity, sometimes due to nothing.  My dr. says he doesn't think shunting it will help at this point, and for now we are going to monitor the size with MRI's.  Will this ultimately progress?  It is due to trauma and not Chiari Malformation.  Any thoughts you can give me would be appreciated.  Thanks for this wonderful site.  It has been most helpful.