Neurology Expert Forum
Leg Numbness/ Neurological medical conditions

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am a twenty-two year old female and I have intermittent numbness in my legs, which tends to be caused by clothing such as shorts, pants, skirts, and even loose fitting sweat pants(mainly I suppose because of the elastic waist band). This occurred suddenly and I've had these symptoms for close to a year now. I've seen two different neurologists, who have ordered several blood tests and three different types of MRI scans including an MRI of the brain, cervical, and thoracic spine and yet still no answers. It's really tough for me to wear any clothing at all from my waist down, including dresses. It seems to be far worse on my right side rather than my left. What could this be?
1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I’m sorry to hear about the symptoms that you are experiencing.  It is reassuring to hear that your MRI of the Brain, and Cervical/Thoracic Spine did not reveal any abnormalities.  This can help rule out disease processes such as multiple sclerosis, or radicular polyneuropathy.  An additional test that may help with your evaluation may be an electromyogram (EMG) which measures the electrical activity of muscles at rest and during contraction, and nerve conduction studies (NCS) which measures how well and how fast the nerves can send electrical signals.  This may help determine if there is a neuropathic process that is causing your symptoms.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.